1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newto PA's, please help

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by warduke75, Apr 19, 2009.

1. warduke75

warduke75

Jan 19, 2009
    Ok, I know almost nothing about PA's as I have always had a sound guy, but my new band does not. We hooked all of our equipment up yesterday and had a radio station (2 actually) coming through the PA. I found the problem today when I found that some of the cables had little or no ground. We were also having problems with monitor levels. Today, I unhooked everything except 1 mic and 1 speaker. I have an old Peavey XR-600B. Everything is fine with the main level. But when I plug into the monitor out, the level is extremely low even when it is cranked all the way up. We are not using 'real' monitors but instead using some small Peavey PA speakers. But I have this problem whether I plug in the small Peavey's or the big mains. Is there a difference between a speaker and a monitor? Does this mean I need to get an additional amp just to push the monitors? Please help!

2. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
  3. warduke75

warduke75

Jan 19, 2009
    I already got a copy of the manual from Peavey's website, but thank you. I have read it through and everything seems to work, but I have very little output on the monitors. Is it normal to need a second amp just to push the monitors?

4. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Do you have a short shielded cable patched from the monitor out to the graphic EQ input?

5. warduke75

warduke75

Jan 19, 2009
    Guess I missed that part in the manual. So If I patch from the monitor out to the EQ input, then connect my monitors to the EQ out, I should have more output?

6. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Just connect your monitors to the speaker outputs on the back. Be sure to have the main monitor level all the way down and turn it up slowly. Let me know if this works.

7. warduke75

warduke75

Jan 19, 2009
    Ok, but if I do that, where do I connect my mains? And how would I control the monitors via the 'mon' knobs if they are connected to the main outputs? there are only 2 main outputs on the back. I'm sorry for being so confused but I thought the mains came out the back controlled via 'main' and the monitors out the monitor plug in the front controlled via the monitor levels,therefore being able to adjust both volumes seperately.

8. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    To run both mains and monitors you will need another amp. If you decide to use the amp in the mixer for your monitors then you would need to run a patch cable from the main output into another amplifier. Otherwise you would run a patch cable from the monitor output into another amplifier. Hope this makes sense.

9. warduke75

warduke75

Jan 19, 2009
    ok, this I can do, as I have another amp that I can use to power the monitors. I just don't understand tho, I always thought you could run both from the same amp, thus the reason for main and monitor outputs!

10. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    That mixer is about 30 years old. I use to own either that model or similar one. Peavey gear is built to last! The newer versions have 2 amps built in so you can run both mains and monitors from the same box.

11. warduke75

warduke75

Jan 19, 2009
    Ah, enough said. Thank you for all the help. BTW, think I got a steal. That amp with 2 mains (500w) 15" with tweets for $300!

12. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Your welcome, good luck with your gear. :)