Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

next bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brungus, May 17, 2004.

1. brungus

brungus

Mar 24, 2004
    right now i have an ibanez ergodyne, bought it for about 600$ and have had it for the past 3 1/2 years. have a recommendation for a next bass? ive been wanting a 5 string, with some nice pickups as i do lots of tapping. budget is less than 1200

2. I'd say keep saving more and buy a get Nino-Brown to make you one. His basses are awesome!

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For under $1200 you can get a hell of a used bass. Would used be an option?

4. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I second this motion.$1200 gets you some real purty used four and even five strigs.

5. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    perhaps a used modulus?

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    For around $750-900 you can get a used Peavey Cirrus 4 or 5 stringer, They are INCREADIBLE basses, the Fret work is TOP notch and tapping is INCREADIBLY easy, its GREAT for Slapping and TWO-hand Tapping.

Highly Suggested!

Another would be a Sadowsky, but you will need more money than that, but it is REALLY worth it!

7. AA63

AA63

Dec 2, 2003
    Montreal, Canada
    I second the motion. Talk to Nino and be done with it. Describe to him the sound you are looking for. He'll build you your sound, and in the color and features that you want.

It is well worth not having to go through the aggravation and worrying of trying to find anything even close to that quality by buying and selling second hand instruments. And compromising on colors, and going through the upgrade syndrome etc...

My 2¢.

AA

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I love Nino's basses... I've got Valenti #1!!!! w00t!

9. Lakland! .....Oh right, yous aid Slapping......heh, lame on my behalf. Hahaha, na, I'd go with something crazy, you have to have something crazy to do crazy tapping.
    Thanks
    Troy

10. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, I'm sacrificing my Dingwall for less than 1200 bucks and it's not even a month old. My little hands have trouble doing the low-B thing on this guy unfortunately, but it is a MONSTER for slapping, tapping, whatever you wanna do. The fanned frets are easy as pie to get used to (we're talking seconds, not minutes or hours), and small frets and a great neck make it feel fast as lightning which is what attracted me to it in the first place. But the low B, at 37", is simply the voice of God. Drop me a PM.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How about a Stingray 5 ;)

...or talk to Nino.