Next thing: Jamerson, theory

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Diamond_Dave, Jun 28, 2020.

1. F5C30215-C4F6-46FF-B7E2-84A10AD4B407.jpeg I’ve kind of hit a musical plateau. Weekend jam isn’t meeting. I’ve been picking out tunes by ear that I’ll hear on the radio just to stay sharp.

Had a wild hair when I was cleaning up my practice room and came across my Jamerson book. I’d read it, but never learned the tunes. I could learn the simpler to medium difficulty ones by ear, but I’ve decided to learn bass clef and work them out from the notation included in the book. Requires me to brush up on the circle of fifths and relearn that 1e&a2e&a...etc. counting from middle school band that I never bothered to learn back then. Because school was for suckers...

Should be a fun challenge.

2. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Have the same book and I am thinking about diving in the same journey. Please report back!

3. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    If you want to use Jamerson's lines as a spring board for theory , check out Jamerson Analyzed
    Hi secret sauce was in his rhythmic genius. There is rarely anything surprising in which notes he chose to play.
    But when he chose to play them...that's what it was all about.

Malcolm35 likes this.
  4. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Interesting. Next up on my list of thing to do is Jim Stinnet's "What Makes Motown Bass Motown?".

motown bass

5. starjag

starjag Supporting Member

Curious if there tab on this book? Curious about Jim's take, but I don't read music.

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Sorry, no tab. I don't read music either, so I'll have translate each note. Surely by the end of the book I'll get the hang of it.

The book starts out with common pitch sets, rhythm cells and licks. Then it begins to put them together into bass lines.

starjag likes this.