1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nice sounding small cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstr00, Aug 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    I'm a reformed rocker that's been moving to more and more support of acoustic instruments. Currently, I'm playing with traditional folk instruments (flute, banjo, pipers, fiddle, etc.) and the occasional singer/songwriter. We rarely have drummers, or if we do, it's percussion and hand drum. Low stage volume is a must when mic'd, but we often play without PA at all.

However, that former rocker part means that most of my gear is complete overkill. I've pared all of amp back to a single 2x10 with a D head, and a 35 watt kickback combo. Here's the problem-

The kickback is volume appropriate, but sounds like poop.

The 2x10 (4 ohm) is still way too loud. The amp is set on master at 2.

I'm looking at the new crop of single 12s and could use a recommendation. I think 8 ohms mean I could turn up more with less perceived loudness. Kickback would be awesome since we play very small stages, as small and light as possible. I play a six and acoustic 5, so it does need to handle a B.

Low volume, sounds great, money is no object. Go!

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I know a guy.
    ;)

Al Kraft likes this.
  3. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Barefaced.

Tim1, DaveAceofBass, P_Robyn and 3 others like this.
  4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Fearless F112

People on here can recommend a local builder. Mine is the best single cab I've ever owned, and covers all of my gigging needs.

5. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Acme

6. If the 4 Ohm 2x10 consists of a pair of 8 Ohm drivers, you could try rewiring the cab to put the drivers in series.
    That would give you a 16 Ohm cab.
    Or get real fancy and install a 4/16 Ohm switch. You know, just in case you get the urge to rock out.
    16 Ohms might not get you all the way to quiet enough, but ya never know, and it won't cost much to try.
    OH, I just read the money is no object part. Never mind.

7. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    It's one of them hypotheticals. :)

I do still keep around the 2x10 for the occasional club date call, or the rare gigs where we bring a kit player. However, the 2x10 is fifty pounds, twenty years old, and in rough shape. New gear isn't always a bad thing if it means I can also improve some fidelity.

I've been looking at Fearless and the things that stops me is a) everyone talks about how good they are at being loud and b) how they're so neutral sounding it's almost a PA cabinet. Are they voiced for bass out of the box or do they really rely on your head to get tone shaping?

I've been checking out Accugroove's Wedgie, a couple of Markbass 1x12s, and the Genzler 12-3 Array too.

8. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hathor 1203

Check this ^. Also, see the Audiokinesis megathread. That cab now has several build options not listed on the website.

Al Kraft, dralionux, TrentB and 5 others like this.
  9. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    Bag End, not the lightest and not the smallest but they sure can deliver!:thumbsup:

pudgychef and CapnSev like this.
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    This is what you seek.

Al Kraft, steubig and DukeLeJeune like this.
  11. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    The 1203 is amazing!

steubig and DukeLeJeune like this.
  12. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I recently got this Bag End S10-D and paired it with my Acoustic Image Clarus... it's great for what you're describing.

Acoustic_Image_BagEnd.jpg

Best sounding 1x10 I've ever used.

pudgychef and BasturdBlaster like this.
  13. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Barefaced (One10 or Super Midget) or AudioKinesis Hathor cabs should be on your list.

P_Robyn, DukeLeJeune and JACink like this.
  14. GK MB112ii ? (1x12 combo)

I have one and it seems to handle low end very well. Although I only play 4-strings...not 5 and 6 like you mentioned.

With the contour button on it has a sweet tone that would work for acoustic setting.

15. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Acme
    Audiokinesis
    Barefaced
    Genzler
    fEARless (Greenboy Audio)
    MAS (Mike Arnopol Soundwerks)

All of these cab manufacturers make small, light, great sounding cabs.

16. Gotcha. Maybe a single 10 or even an 8 would get you where you need to be?
    Can't speak to the voicing issues though.

Have you considered a newer small combo?
    That way you've kind of got a matched set for amp and speaker and a lot less weight.
    Something like a Rumble 40 or a 100 just as a suggestion.

Good luck.

Wedgies are great if someone else it getting them. :woot:

pudgychef and SJan3 like this.
  17. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Greenboy F112

18. Hubtone

Hubtone

Dec 20, 2009
    Louisiana
    Greenboy fearless F110 or F112 is all you'll ever need. Kicks back too.

interp likes this.
  19. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Barefaced Super Midget or AudioKinesis Hathor 1203 would be my suggestions.

DukeLeJeune and JACink like this.
  20. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I used a Bergantino AE112 in a duo I did with an acoustic guitarist. Then I added another for the electric bands. Any of the Berg 112's would be just right.

If your budget can handle it, I switched my Bergs out for 2 Barefaced 112 cabs (Super Compacts). 1 for the quiet stuff and 2 for the really loud stuff. My tone through the Bergs and now the Barefaced cabs is the best I've had.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021