Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nice Tobias Basic six..but.....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, May 15, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I own a Spector NS-2 that had the headstock completely broken off - the line can still be seen where it was separated.

I bought it used from an Italian fellow who had it professionally repaired around 10 years ago. Compared to a Spector that hasn't been damaged, it's exactly the same in terms of sound and playability.

It's a given that each situation is a case-by-case thing, but my experience has been positive. I think it's dependent on the nature of the crack and the skills of the luthier repairing it.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In theory, if that was repaired by a competent luthier with the correct glue, the glue joint should be stronger than an unbroken neck at the same point.

Lots of vintage Gibsons have had this repair. They are very prone to broken necks at the headstock.

4. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    whats up with the gap on the side of the pickups??

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Maybe they are not the original pickups.

Or perhaps it is a hallmark of the Gibson build quality, after Mike T left the picture.

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    there is something seriously wrong with that bass...I have a gibson Tobias and it's just fine. That ain't just fine.