1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nickel Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by M0ses, Sep 28, 2009.

1. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Do such strings exist? I like nickel and I like flats. Can you get both? I can't find that kind of thing anywhere.

2. Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the tip. Why does no one else make these?

4. good question, because they are some great-sounding and playing strings! Definitely not for everybody, but a unique and appealing sound that gets closer to "upright" than any other

5. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Also Pyramid.

6. kimokeo

kimokeo

Jul 7, 2009
    You can also get a half round, which is a pure nickel string that has been ground down. It is not as smooth as a flat, but very close.

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Zeta used to advertise that the flats on their 34" Crossover bass were nickel, but they are no longer listed on their website. They were very expensive strings.

8. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    What is it about nickel that would make you think it might be better as a flatwound material?

9. GML

GML

Oct 1, 2008
    Sierra foothills
    Nickel is very magnetic so it generates more current in the pickup coils. SS on the other hand is not very magnetic. That being said, there is a fair amount of nickel in SS. It's one of the things that makes it stain-less.

Hope this helps.

10. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Rotosounds are made with Monel, which is closely related & contains a fair amount of Nickel (thank you, Wikipedia!! :D).

I like them for the feel, which seems a bit more slippery and waxy than stainless. For some reason, I've just never been very partial to stainless.

11. pyramid golds are pure nickel flats... and they are the best sounding and feeling flats ever!!!

12. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    ja Funk a kej veš kje se jih da dobit v Sloveniji ?
    al jih lahko ti zrihtaš ?
    Zdaj mam gor na 5 strunskmu spector rebopu rotosoundove flatwound -kakšna je razlika?

that was a little talking about flatwound strings in Slovenian language.

13. pr nas se jih ne da dobit... bomo pa naročval.. pa ful je razlika!!!

14. D'Addario Chrome flats are nickel too.

15. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    All the chromes I've seen were SS. Not to mention, the "zing" was exactly what I was trying to get away from. I ended up with the TI flats and they rock my sox. Uber mellow. I wish the tension was a bit higher but I've gotten used to it and apart from that they feel great. And I'm definitely loving the tone. I WAS using two-year old EBMM Slinky Rounds before and you can imagine that they were just NOT doing it for me.

16. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    No, that's why they're "Chromes." Chromium is what makes stainless steel stainless.

D'Addario makes no pure nickel wrap strings. When they say "nickel," they mean nickel-plated steel.

I just loves my TI Flats. They are worth the money for their longevity, their sound, cooperative tonal balance, sustain (who said flats can't sustain?) and how they feel under hand whenever you're playing them. The low tension means you may need to raise the action, but the tension is so low they're still very easy to play, in fact maybe the most comfortable strings I've ever played. Not only are they flat, but nickel is much softer than stainless.

17. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    D'Addario Half Rounds are Pure Nickel....Check their website.

18. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    Interesting! I notice that they now offer a pure nickel wrap roundwound for guitar as well. Used to be you couldn't get pure nickel from D'Addario.