1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nicklloyd.com

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by PRUNEFACE, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Finally looking to actually order a bass. Still sick, but if the treatment works I should be considerably better within the next month and was looking at possibly getting a Shen SB180. I found Nick Lloyds site, but the prices seem ridiculously low compared to everywhere else, is the site up to date? I also emailed him but I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks all

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Nnick's more of a phone guy than an email guy, so I'd try giving him a call at the shop (# listed on the site).

3. Okay, thanks man. I might try later this evening before he closes.

4. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
  5. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I've purchased or arranged the purchase of three Shens from Nick, and yes, his prices are low. He also does a superior set-up on the instruments. I'd certainly give him my recommendation.

6. I'm wondering what the exact differences are between the SB150 and SB180 -the SB180 appears to have better tuners and have a "fully carved spruce top" vs "carved spruce top"

7. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    I wasn't sure if it was ethical so........I should have added that Steve Swan's prices are great (I've purchased a couple of basses from him) and the set up on his basses is always excellent. Really easy to get ahold of as well, always willing to discuss an instrument in detail over the phone.

8. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't know Nick (except by reputation, which is first rate). I've met Steve and can say he's (also) an excellent person to do business with.
    Louis

9. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    The difference between the SB150 and SB180 is the flamed laminated sides and back on the SB180 (prettier) and the better tuners.
    The fully carved top remains the same. I'm quite sure the sound between both is the same as well.

10. RDW

RDW Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    +1,000,000

11. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Anyone planning to buy a Shen bass would do well to get it from Nick. He does indeed do superior setup work.

To the best of my knowledge, the differences between the SB150 and 180, are mostly cosmetic. They sound and play about the same.

12. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I have not had the privelidge of dealing with Nick. I have heard nothing but the highest praise for him, his work, and all things LLoyd. If I was still in the OH area (I went to grad school at Ohio University in Athens...yes, the same Athens as Stewart-MacDonald, and David Messina...in fact, Dave was a grad student at the same time as myself in the same department!!), I would call him in a heartbeat. I would feel honored to both purchase and have the bass setup from Nick. I'm sure you will be very happy!

However, I have dealt twice with Steve Swan. Although he is not a luthier or setup guy, the man he uses is in San Fransico (Jeff Sahs), and he does wonderful setup work to your specs. Steve is wonderful to deal with, and his prices are the lowest I've found.

If you are considering a 180, I would HIGHLY encourage you to step up to a 190. For 5-600 more, you will go from a very good bass to an OUTSTANDING bass, especially for pizz work. My 190 has tonal characteristics that one would not expect from a bass twice the price, or more. I have A/B'd mine with some very reputable expensive basses, and I am more than satisfied with my bass. Nick can get one for you in just a few days. If you compared the 180 with the 190 back to back at his shop, I think you will hear for yourself what I am saying.

Please let us know what you decide. Either way, you will be in good shape.

13. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    It is a wise choice to do business with a luthier near enough you can travel to them. It's a relationship that will pay great dividends when things change and adjustments or repairs are needed.

Shipping double basses for repair is expensive and difficult. Nothing beats face to face contact with the person that takes the tools to your instrument.

I encourage anyone that is purchasing any double bass to give the relationship with their luthier equal weight in their choices.

14. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    Unc,
    You, as always, are right. In fact, Uncah Toad for Prez 2012. :D

On a side note....have you tried the Velvet Blues strings on the Queen, or are you using Spiros? I was thinking about trying some Blues on mine, as I am currently masssaging Spiro Mittles. I was curious if you had any experience with them, since your German bass is well settled in.

Just giving some love to my man Swan. If the customer in ? is in the midwest, then Nnick it is!!!

15. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    No I haven't however I do have a D/G laying around I haven't yet tried on there. AQ is wearing Spiros. She goes under the knife in June so no changes until long after that.

16. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    I'm lucky to have Nick a block away from my house. I've seen a Shen that he set up, it was nice and I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with one of those for the money. A great setup is worth more than most guys that do them charge; priceless, really; and Nick is no exception.

17. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Not really trying to throw away any Shen dublebass sales from Nick or me, but there may be an excellent Shen dealer nearer to you where you can actually try out the bass before you buy. I know by first hand accounts that Dustin Williams in Nashville is an excellent doublebass luthier. I'd give him a call if nashville is close enough for you to comfortably drive there from your home. John Sprague at CSC Products can also inform you of other Shen dealers in your immediate area who are also known to do superior setups and who may have an SB 150 or SB 180 in stock. John is quite proud of his dealer base and knows each one well. Best of luck in your search and be sure to let us know how it turns out!

18. I can say from personal experience that Dustin Williams is an excellent bass luthier. Every time I have been in his shop, there has been a great selection of Shen basses from entry level to top of the line.

19. Ordered the bass, pickup, and a carbon fiber and a brazilwood bow (to try out and keep the one I like). Not positive whether my father ordered a 150 or a 180, asked for the 180 but he also ordered the pickup so he might have ordered the cheaper model. Also got a Bobelock bag.

20. This is late, but Ronald Sachs in Atlanta is a Shen dealer also, and does excellent setup work. If you're in the southeast, there is a good chance that Ronald may be who you go to for adjustments and repairs anyway.

That said, I bought my Shen from Nick.