Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No Drummer?!?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Pesticle, Jan 6, 2005.

1. This is actually just a question i had to get some more opinions on.... I played in a 3 piece band: bass, vocalist, drummer and the shows we played dropped peoples jaws because we pulled off no guitar player and we still rocked the house. Unfortunately and unexpectedly our drummer passed away, and we can't find someone to fill the spot. Me and the singer got to talking and we are thinking about just going out as a 2 piece..... bassist and vocalist. Now at first i shrugged it off as a crazy idea... but then after finding no drummer me and the vocalist were kinda thinking about trying the setup. We get one of those stupid little personal recorders and recorded a few of our songs just to show it to the family and to see what they say.... and astonishingly enough i showed my mom/ dad the recording and the words " you guys have a good drummer" came from both parents... and there wasnt even a drummer in it. It made me so sure that i was gunna be in a 2 piece that i played a show at the juvenile detention center for the bad seeds and they seemed to like it alot too. Now my question.... do you guys suppose that we should expand upon this no drummer thing and record the cd out as a 2 piece, or is that just foolishness and we should concentrate on finding a drummer to record with?

2. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Hey, if it sounds good and you dig it, do it. I play in a duo right now with no drums. It's alot of fun, gives me a ton of room to play and people like it just fine. Almost very project I've been in has had a drummer, so when this came up I was psyched for the change. If anything it's made me focus alot more. Can't even think about being lazy with the time when you're the only one keeping it! Plus, when it's time for a solo, it really is a solo. Keeps me on my toes. I've added a boomerang to my rig which keeps it a bit more full and have been playing more chordal stuff to fill things out, but if you are willing to rethink the songs a bit to adapt I say go for it!

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Dude, I URGE you to go for it. I'd love to have some bass and vocal stuff done! Definitely go for it.

4. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    do it - i'm just working in a duo at the moment - piano, bass(double and electric) and 2x vox. However there are points when its just vox and bass and it sounds ace!! Especially on electric - chords, tapping, phat lines etc.

Go for it, it can only make you a better player!!!

Dodge

ps; no drummer = no drama! (said in an aussie accent)

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Do it, the novelty factor alone would draw people to your shows. And it's an original idea. I like it.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You said you had recordings... why not post them? :)

7. i only have a tape of our music ... i don't really know how to put it on the site... but i could record you guys some of the music without the singing directly to the computer maybe.. does anyone know a good spot to get some freeware that i can record some lines on?.... it's been so long since i've done that i don't know the names of the programs anymore. I really wish i had an mp3 for you guys cuz i think you would dig it.

8. does anyone know where i can get some freeware to record on my computer?.... i'll post you guys some of our 2 piece songs.

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I played in a band where we had no drummer.

Kind of cool. I had to play a bit more percussive, as we did have two guitarists, but it was fun.

It's also a great way to hone your sense of timing.

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You could get a looper - then you could loop percussive sounds made with your bass, or even something chordal or a bass line or something to do melodies or improvisations over; OR BOTH if the looper has an overdub feature.

Joe

11. joe... You wouldnt happen to know of a freeware little computer line recorder would you? I'll record a few songs for you guys if i can get one. I play a very trippy aggressive style, and heck i may even record one of our ballads. :D... i have a feeling you guys would really enjoy hearing it. (if you dig primus or jaco you may especially like it.) My singer describes my playing as .... " a thousand preppy bees stinging me"...... i'm yet to figure out what that really means, but i just know i haven't went to sleep in the last 2 years without one of our songs in my head.

12. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    i'm playing in a duo at the mo - me on double bass+friend on vocals and piano tho for alot of the time she doesnt play the piano so its just bass abd vox. It rocks so go out and do it man!!!

Dodge

13. audacity is great freeware...
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    it has multi-track recording so you can even include the vocals!! :)

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like a plan. Do you slap or are you more fingerstyle groove? If you play like Flea or Fieldy, there's absolutely no need for a drummer.

If you can sound good playing fingerstyle too, kudos to you and much respect!