1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No effects experience.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basshero1107, Apr 26, 2009.

1. basshero1107

basshero1107

Jun 20, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    My band:

www.myspace.com/abovethesunmusic

I have NO effects experience whatsoever. I know what most of the different effects do but what kinds of effects could i use in my style of music? I've been looking into some effects for a while but never got any money to spend, now i got some. WOOHOO!

Teach me.

2. Hmm, maybe some simple things like overdrive, or phasers, flangers, but your music doen't really sound like it needs a great amount of effects. A delay or reverb could be quite apt for your style of music.

If you really want to get into effects try starting out with a multi effects box, then if you decide later you need more, sell it and start a pedal collection.

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    You could get away with fuzz on a lot of that, because your guitarists are playing clean. Or start looking into octavers and filters if you want something synthier.

Or start singing, there's not a lot of that in your band.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would look for a good solid bass overdrive before anything. You can play in bands all your life and never use effects if you don't want, but overdrive is becoming a standard effect on bass these days, so it's probably a good idea to start with one of them.

5. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    This WILL change after hanging with us here after a few days....:smug:

Be prepared to give your wallet a workout.

6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    More like a beating.

As far as effects, I'd definitely say a good OD and maybe a compressor, but aside from that it's pretty good as-is. Look into reverb or some delay, but honestly I think all you need is a tuner, OD, and compression.

7. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    No experience probably means you should get a multi-effect pedal and see what kind of sounds you like. Find what works for you and get a better stomp box version of it.

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Effects can be dangerous.

First of all, I would not think about effects unless I had my tone figured out, where you can get it all the time in different rooms.

I think a few people here might reccomend starting with a high end compression pedal, but's thats not really an effect.

I am thinking about the new MXR Octave thingy. Seems like it's the lastest and greatest.

blue

9. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI

Overdrive sounds good, I have one of those MXR Micro Amps.
    I am not sure how I am going to aply it yet. It's seems like a cool pedal, it's got to be good for something?

I guess the micro amp is not really an effect either, more of a gain.

10. basshero1107

basshero1107

Jun 20, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    so, in terms of multi-effects, what would be a good option? like, a few basic effects but still not too expensive? i know single pedals tend to be better quality overall because theyre made specifically for THAT effect alone. BUT, i dont want to waste money on something i dont need. i'd say, price range is around 300-400.

as for the vocals, those are old recording. like really really old.
    i do a ton of backup when we play live. :oops:

11. shinobi

shinobi

Nov 24, 2007
    Aichi, Japan
    aside from multi-fx, you ought to have a picture (or sound) in your head of what you want your tone to be like. this requires some inspiration.

what better way to be inspired than by some of the great bass players who use effects

such as -drumroll-

CHRIS WOLSTENHOLME
    TIM COMMERFORD
    JUSTIN CHANCELLOR

and PLEASE, do not open a thread asking "how can i sound like XXXX" unless you want to get alot of love in these forums :)

12. shinobi

shinobi

Nov 24, 2007
    Aichi, Japan
    that's how, in wanting to keep as many factors as possible constant, you slide down the slippery slope of effects GAS and reach the land of amp/cab GAS, which is far more dangerous :crying:

13. get a multieffect box, it's great for beginners and many pros use them. Like many have said, when you get specific about exactly what you want you can sell it and start on that pedal collection. Some heads/combo amps can come with many basic effects already, like Compressor, overdrive or maybe even some reverb. Combo amps you won't be taking to every show, a head is an option though, you can take it to every gig and have your own sound everywhere, not depending on whatever amp/DI is in the gig. Unless of course you simply get a digital multieffect with amp sim, like a POD or a Boss GT-whatever

14. Leave now before you get sucked into the abysal depths of effects! I stated with one innocent compressor, and now have a total of twelve pedals and I still want more :crying:.

But seriously, multi effects is a good way to go if you just want to fool around, but if you're pretty sure you're always going to have them I'd go straight to individuals. Maybe get a BBM or Micro Q-tron? EHX makes a bunch of cheap and high quality products.

15. yep- couldnt agree more- absolutely the best place to start. i feel like od/eq/fuzz are the most useful across genres- but maybe thats because i had those three for years without the desire to change my setup.

envelope filters opened the flood gates for me. others have warned against this slippery slope- but i would just say get a second job or stop paying your mortgage or something. neato sounds are way more fun.

edit: oh- duh- and a compressor. i would get one of those before anything else. forgot about that- as a lot of heads come with an onboard compressor anyway.

16. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Overdrive is a good place to start, but I'd grab a delay next. After overdrive, delay is the one effect I can always seem to use.

17. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    I would say double or even triple lines in recording. Get an extremly deep underlying track then get some synth an f around. you could make this even better than it is. I really like the music and I am jealous of your band members. hope they are not a pain to deal with like you get sometimes. best-Fred

18. basshero1107

basshero1107

Jun 20, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    with all due respect to everyone, im not new to bass. just effects. ive been playing for 4 years now and just got my first cab/head. its a GK neo 212 and 700rb-II.

ive heard a lot about the boss multi-effects and both my guitarists use one, but theyre expensive. should i take the risk?

19. Mutli-fx are probably okay for messing around, finding what effects you like, but I don't think its anything more than an entry-level type thing (no offense to the supporters). My philosophy with regard to electronics is that I know I will eventually end up with the perfect fit, instead of something similar but cheaper. I would rather wait on it and buy a couple of good stand-alone pedals than have to resell your multi-effect unit down the road (which is probably inevitable). Why buy something to test out effects in your home when you can do it for free at a local store? I'm very biased against multi-effects units though, so take this with a grain of salt.

20. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    That's some nice tidy prog there! I love the long instrumentals, lots of delay and stuff happening especially with two guitars, so you don't really need to be that adventurous with your effects really. I suppose that is a joy of being in a three-piece!

Like many have said, a good overdrive is pretty pararmount. It really is a standard effect for bassists now, so that would be where I would invest most of my money if I were you. However, I have a 20 pedal mammoth board so I'm probably not the best person to talk to about keeping it simple.

Even so, three most essential pedals, in my opinion: TUNER (above all else), Compressor and a decent DI. I really couldn't gig without my TU-2, MultiComp and my MXR M-80.

A SansAmp DI or an M-80 would both also produce a decent overdrive, although both sound entirely different, so listen to them both first. I went for the M-80 as it has independently switchable distortion, seperate from the EQ, unlike the SansAmp.

+1 to a Fuzz, that would sound really cool in your band situation, from listening to your songs. I think there's probably enough delays going on, but a nice overdrive or fuzz would sound great.

Since I got my Octaver though I haven't stopped using it, so maybe that could be something to look into? Great for filling out sparse guitar parts and bringing home the funk!