1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No more office?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chris1125, Aug 23, 2012.

1. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    My favorite show for years with Steve Carrel , one year without him and they're calling it quits? Argh

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    one year too many, imo. it'd be like the Brit version without Gervais. no point. Except that version was funny...

3. LexD

LexD

Aug 17, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: D'Ambrosio Guitars
    I enjoy the show too, but it seems the main reason they're calling it quits is because the cast is jumping ship.

Paul Lieberstein (the showrunner), who also plays Toby Flenderson on the show, is leaving to work on a Dwight Schrute spin-off.
    Rainn Wilson is also potentially leaving if his spin-off gets picked up.
    James Spader, who plays Robert California this season, asked to bow out
    Mindy Kaling will also be leaving if her new show on Fox does well.

The good news ? There’s a small chance Steve Carrell will return.

4. As a Office fan since the start I can say the show was a ship without a rudder after Steve left. I am sorry it went from great to mediocre. I still watched it and it was cool to see other characters shine more......but James Spader was just weird and a horrible fit, that Nelly Brit chick was equally painful. If they wouldn’t have tried to fill the gap Steve left and just let the other characters tastefully come out more then it would have been great but they kept banging there head against a wall trying to "replace" him.

5. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Last year had a couple moments. I thought the third episode with Will Ferrell wad hysterical. I wish he would have done a few more episodes. What's this about Carrell coming back?

6. The Office (US) was one of the few US takes on a British comedy that I liked, primarily because they managed to get a good cast and put a bit of a different spin on it.

Earlier this week I saw a trailer for a US version of The Inbetweeners. It made me sad.

7. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    That show stopped being funny long before what's-his-face left.

8. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I hope you're joking :/

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I found Steve Carrel about as funny as watching a bag of potatoes rot. US version of The Office and Napoleon Dynamite or pretty much 2 of the only things I have ever watched that made want to throw things at the TV.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yea, the show really started showing signs of age years ago, there is a reason the British office only ran for 2 seasons and a christmas special. Plus the best stuff on the office is the deleted scenes.... from every season.

Also, Jim is a totally immature pr!*k who devises these mean little tricks on Dwight who is just trying to earn a living. If I had to work with Jim I would probably punch him right in the face and tell him to grow up...

11. LexD

LexD

Aug 17, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: D'Ambrosio Guitars
    eh, just a Gawker article I came across. Don't hold it against me.

Regarding the possible return of Steve Carrell, Daniels said "it would be fantastic if he would return," noting that the crew is "certainly wish[ing] for it." Other "familiar faces" are also expected to return for the final season.

12. NOT

NOT

Jul 15, 2011
    I love the show. With or without Steve. I do prefer the episodes with Steve Carell and hope he returns. It's one of the only current shows on television that makes me laugh.

13. +1

I'm pretty open when it comes to humor, but I never got so much as a snicker watching The Office. And I suffered through several episodes thinking I was going to "get" the humor before I realized there was none there to get.

14. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I watched that show a couple times and did not care for it but I know people who love it.

15. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Spader never really caught on for me. I think Spader is a great actor, loved him and Shatner in Boston Legal. Not the same show without Carrel. I know he was doing a decent acting job when my wife would watch it with me and she'd get up and leave the room saying "I can't watch it anymore. That Michael Scott is such an idiot". I think once Carrel left, a lot of the little 1:1 interpersonal comedic dynamics he had with the other characters also was greatly lost. (Did I just say interpersonal comedic dynamics?)

16. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Plus a trillion. The US Office I find much more entertaining. I think that's partly due to great writing and casting, and partly due to the fact that I am sick to death of Gervais self-aggrandising ubiquity.

An American Inbetweeners? Shudder.

I remember years ago rumours circulating about Ted Danson playing Lister in a US version of Red Dwarf. Love Ted Danson, but that idea happily got binned.

17. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    The pilot for the US Red Dwarf is floating around on the interwebs if you care to go look for it. Not recommended.

18. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Really? Never knew that, I'll have a look anyway! Cheers.

19. Red Dwarf (US) Pilot :

20. (I have to agree with Uncle Fluffy, the Red Dwarf (US) pilot is particularly painful)