1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No more scratchy volume pots!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sean S, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Actually, no more volume pots at all!

I did a simple rewire of my Squier VM Fretless, but it took me forever to figure out how things were wired. Anyway, I figured it out, made up my own little schematic, and made this pic after the fact;

layout.

2. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    Gonna make the sound man earn his money or you'll have to stay at one volume on your amp!!!! done both with some success.

3. Soundman usually takes a line out of my head (SVT5-PRO), which has input gain, one volume control per channel, and a master, so I think I'm covered either way (mic or line out :smug:)

4. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    You could do that with a push-pull pot and cut the cap in and out for tone/volume. Actually, given that I mostly use series mode on my modded J, I can see some fun mods :)

[Edit] What are you using for your layouts? That's pretty tidy looking.

c-

5. I made the layout with DIY Layout Creator. Someone on the DIYStompboxes forum wrote the program for doing pedal/electronics layouts. I use a lot to make sense of my own hand-written diagrams :smug:

6. hmmm...now what to do about the scratchy tone pot :meh:

7. Tone pot isn't scratchy :)

8. yes...but why remove the volume pot? why not just replace it?

9. Time and $$

10. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    please explain?

$$: under 10 bucks...
    time: in the time you thought this up, figured it out, scribbled it on paper and soldered it... you could have just resoldered the new pots and be playing a couple of tunes...

11. I didn't want to say anything...but since,

qi2t97KHba6earr83viVkVGT_400.

I can only say...

[​IMG]

12. OK, let me explain better, then. Money, I don't have, even ten extra dollars for a pair. Things have been extremely tight the last couple months. I had my iron and some solder, so I went at it. Time, because it's been getting worse, and I can't be having scratchy pots anymore, so this is the solution I came up with. I'll put new pots in if someone wants to donate some.

Also, I most often play with both p'ups on, and the only thing I really change is the tone control. I mute through my tuner or my amp, so "on/off" isn't an issue. As such, this was a simple, effective, cheap solution for me.

13. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The way your schematic is, you don't have a tone control at all, but his should work as a volume. But you have all your grounds going through the cap.

Because if you look, you have the ground from the jack going to the wiper on the pot, so turning the pot when they short out the signal from the pickups... that's a volume control.

The cap serves no purpose, except blocking DC voltage.

Maybe your drew the diagram wrong?

But I agree, I'd rather have a tone than a volume, I only use the volume as a mute when I'm not playing... but I do switch from pickup to pickup, so a blend a tone are the bare minimum. I did have just a blend for a while on my bass. :D

14. SGD: As far as I can tell, that's exactly what I did. Perhaps the ground signal runs through the control plate to the sleeve, since the control plate is metal, and contacts the sleeve connection directly, which would put the pot in parallel to with the pickups/jack...I don't know.

I do know it works, was completely affordable, and I can reverse it if need be. I'll have a look and see if I need to change my diagram, though.

15. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    It the ground from the pot also connects to the ground of the jack, then yes, it will work as a tone control.

16. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i never understood scratchy pots. don't they only scratch and make noise when you adjust the volume?

17. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    I think that is more than just $$ issue, i still enjoy the moment that when i scratched my head and think of something that may turn the world over. I tried to install two preamp in one bass; have 10 knobs on a bass; removed all the knobs and using just one switch. Although i turn back to the very standard stock layout, but i have a hack lot of fun on it..thanks for sharing Sean

18. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    They just need to be cleaned. If all else fails, a little squirt of WD-40 works wonders.

19. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    just for a little while...

but if you never use the volume anyway, there was no need to resolder in my opinion, pots only scratch when you use them...

20. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    I haven't had a scratchy pot in many years. They aren't supposed to do that. If you don't use them, they can oxidize, so it's a good idea to turn them back and forth every so often.

Good quality pots don't get scratchy.