1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

no more svt 2 pro????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldironsights, Apr 4, 2009.

1. oldironsights

oldironsights

Jun 13, 2008
    LAS VEGAS
    Just called both my local guitar centers to go and demo a svt 2 pro and was told that they were blown out at a sale price a few weeks ago and dont believe that they would be carrying anymore? In fact I was told only 2 g.c. stores in the U.S. still had a few. Wow was this head not doing good or is ampeg getting ready to release a new head?? Anybody got any dirt on this???? Thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg's current parent company, LOUD Technologies, is a company of idiots. They fired the head idiot and his bumbling minions a few months ago, but by then, the damage was done. Now their stock has been de-listed from NASDAQ, and they're in deep financial trouble, and rumored to be having problems with keeping their factory running. So it's more of a question of not being able to make them currently. They certainly wouldn't discontinue a hot seller like the 2 Pro. They may be idiots but they're not THAT stupid.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Sure about that? :D

4. oldironsights

oldironsights

Jun 13, 2008
    LAS VEGAS
    Thanks Jimmy. That sucks the big one!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Jeff, not really :help:

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    My guess is that they will discontinue everything they possibly can that doesn't have the max possible sales. In fact, I would suggest that they don't care a hoot about sales, they want return on investment.

They have only so much money to buy product with, no matter what. The only way they can keep going is to maximize the ROI, and that does not mean sales per dollar invested, it means dollar profits per dollar invested.

Evidently their dollar profit return per month is not as good as desired for the 2 PRO. Most of the Ampeg stuff has never sold tons, espensive stuff usually does not, but for SLM it was profitable, and still amounted to a good cash flow.

Since GC is actively pushing the Loud brands out of their stores, bit by bit, I suspect their sales of Ampeg are not what they were.... And with GC probably demanding better and better margins, as per Walmart, they don't get the profits they need.

7. Jerrold, I couldn't agree more. I was at my local GC today confabing with the manager and, according to him, it is corporates plan to discontinue Ampeg in the near future. The word has gotten so bad that no one seems to be even remotely interested in buying the brand anymore.

That's a damn shame....feels like a bit of history is going down the proverbial tubes.....

On a brighter note....I'm damn glad everytime I look at my rig, that it says "made in the USA by SLM" on the back.

LOUD can shove it...........

8. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    What the hell is GC going to carry anymore. Man.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Same here. All my Ampeg gear has the letters SLM and USA on the back, very comforting indeed.

10. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    One thing all those of you with USA 'pegs have not considered is that for those of us who live outside the States the appeal of USA built SVTs has also diminished considerably. I say this because in the states there are clearly plenty of experienced Ampeg repairmen who can get most parts from somewhere, due to there being so many in use over there. Down here in the likes of New Zealand and Oz this is less of an option, and even when SLM owned Ampeg I had considerable difficulty getting parts for my SVT2. Hence a used SLM is potentially as much of a liability to us as a used Vietnam model.

But I am still looking for one.....

11. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    They are headed towards mostly house brands...... Why pay Loud or someone else to get made-in-china stuff when they can get it direct?

12. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    i heard that SVT2's were actually discontinued 2 years ago....

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    2 Pro's still listed as an available product on Ampeg's website.

14. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Bump. Any updates on this? I noticed that both GC and MF have 2-pros on order, but not in stock.