1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No one even noticed Roman Polanski's

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jim Campbell, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I was first amused by the quote you posted, then perplexed by the fact that you seemingly watch The View.

Bingo. That said, it is beyond strange to me that this happened the year I was born and NOW somebody arrests him? It's not like he's been in hiding. Very odd.

Yeah, me too. You can argue the merits of prosecuting him 32 years after the fact, but beyond that there's really nothing to discuss. The man committed a crime that he deserved to be punished for.

2. I have a thing to post here, but it would be a troll post, so I shant post it. \

I guess weird stuff does happen close to my birthday. The Warren commission ruled Oswald acted alone, Cliff Burton died, and now this...and the former two were before I was borned.

3. HuffPo? :rollno:

Second link:

:scowl:

It's not merely "alleged". Dude plead guilty, because he did some heinous ----. The details are horrendous. What was left was the sentencing, which never happened because he high-tailed it.

I doubt there'd be the compassion out there for this guy had he not been a filmmaker but rather an oil man or real estate mogul let's say.

4. It's OK to hate those two professions. They make money without entertaining us.

Mike

5. this.

6. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    From what I've been reading, the US's extradition treaties with France very conveniently did NOT include the type of crimes Polanski was convicted of. So France had no legal obligation to hand him over. He knew it, that's why he never left France; or if he did, he was sure to travel only to countries where he was safe from arrest, the coward.

Polanski's victim later sued him privately and won a pretty healthy settlement. He feels that that should be justice enough. Because throwing money and fame around will make ANY problem go away, apparently; even molesting a kid.

7. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I need something to think about in the morning. Joy Behar really does the trick.

:oops:

I've been watching videos on YouTube about this for a little bit now; it's a pretty intriguing case. I can definitely understand why the victim wouldn't want this case to stir up the past. There are some pretty graphic descriptions of the event. He should still pay for his dirty crimes the same way anyone else would. Nobody like that deserves mercy.

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'm sure it's a traumatic thing for any rape victim to have to relive the event through a trial, but how much worse is it when it's a high profile case where everyone knows your name and the graphic details of what happened to you are splashed across front pages everywhere? I can't blame her for not wanting any part of this. Justice should have been done 32 years ago.

9. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    They are not prosecuting him. They are finally forcing him to pay for the horrendous crime he committed.

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I recall hearing that he was held for 42 days for evaluation and fled before sentencing. The judge made the comment that he was inclined to sentence him for a further 48 days. That just puts in perspective the level of punishment he was likely to have received had he not left the US.

11. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Drugged and raped a 13 year old girl. What a great "artist".

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    He should face up to what he got himself involved with 30+ years ago. Fleeing doesn't get him off the hook.

I don't think he's done any Hollywood work since he ran away, though. I may be wrong.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Polanski situation leaves me conflicted. Although he plead down, he raped a little girl, and that is too serious a crime to ignore. That said, the victim, who came forth years ago, does not want him further punished, and I think her wishes should be taken into consideration.

The irony was that he was convicted before awareness of child abuse heightened, and he likely would have have had fairly light punishment had he not fled. There was also a great deal of sympathy for him because he was a victim of the Manson family, that would have surely been seen as a mitigating circumstance.

Whatever happens, this situation needs to be settled for good this time so all parties can more forward.

14. Indeed, it is pretty ironic. He's likely to get way worse now than he would have then. But that makes me happy, because I hate cowardice.

Also, just in case anyone's confused... There is no "allegedly," and he's not being "prosecuted." The trial occurred decades ago. He's already been convicted, he is guilty as charged of raping a 13 year old girl. All that's left is the sentencing.

15. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, I used the word "prosecuted" up above and Balog rightfully pointed out my mistake. I know he's been convicted I just used the wrong word. I should have said "pursued". Like Dr. Cheese I am conflicted about how I think this should play out.

16. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Just to clarify this, he isn't going to be prosecuted for this
    crime, he already plead guilty to it. He was out on bail to
    finish a movie project. There was a rumor that he would be
    sent to prison instead of receiving probation.
    He then jumped bail and left the country prior to his sentencing
    hearing. France would not extradite him. (I think that is
    because they have a different attitudes about what is
    considered felonious intercourse with young ladies or
    something like that.) Actually, he is a French citizen and
    then denied extradition based on their custom of not deporting
    their own citizens to be dealt with by foreign courts.

His premise for leaving was that he had been imprisoned during
    the Holocaust, and could not stand the idea of spending more
    time in prison in his lifetime.

17. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    Regardless of the original case, he owes We The People for ditching. Jumping bail is a no no, and a slap in the face to the People of the Great State of California and the Union itself. For that he must pay, too. You can't let anyone get away with that.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Apparently many in France want to see him face justice in the USA also:http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/movies/30polanski.html?hp

From what I have read, there are some questions about his trial, but the place to have handled at the trial or through appeal. Whatever the outcome it would have been over by now.

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Let's not forget that 2 years after raping a 13 year old he had 'relations' with 15 year old Nastassja Kinski. He obviously doesn't see wrong in what he's done.

20. Then he should not have raped a 13 year old girl.