No rack = No power conditioner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buzz, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I just read a comment in another thread that made me wonder, for those tired of carrying the rack case and just using a portable head in a shoulder bag, do you not use a power conditioner?

I did see a furman power strip once in Musicians Friend but don't know if that would work as well as one of their rack units.
    I'm considering downsizing especially in the up coming Michigan winter season but don't know how safe I feel about not having some power protection.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I use a Furman SS-6B with my non-rackmounted heads, but to be honest, I also worry somewhat that it is not offering the same level of protection as my rack-mount power condititoners. Still, I figure it's better than not using anything.

If anyone knows of a non-rackmount power conditioner that it substantially better than the SS-6B, I'd be all ears...

3. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I just got a 3 space rack bag for my new Thunderfunk and my Furman. Just to be safe. small and lightweight. You could also try some of those fancy power strips they sell at PC stores, they might do the same thing.(???)
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Unless you are spending a few hundred bucks, you aren't really getting anything that will do much more that a circuit breaker power strip anyway.

I have been using a plain old power strip and have had no problems at all.
  5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Furman SS-6B claims to have EMI/RFI filtering in addition to surge suppression, which was my deciding factor. Well, that and the fact that it only cost $20...
  6. Model #: ISOBAR4ULTRA
    This is what I use.
  7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You know, I actually have one of those lying around at the office (we switched to all UPS backups). Perhaps I should "upgrade" it to gig use!
  8. Works great. I have one for our PA too. I didn't want the WWU to get zapped...
  9. Power conditioners are just glorified power strips IMO. Most decent power strips offer the same basic protection as the former.

I got curious one day and opened mine up just to see what was inside. Six grounded outlets and a circut breaker, that was it.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    After one too many close calls with idiot-powered outdoor generators mis-set for 220v, I switched to this Furman Power Factor Pro around May of this year. It actually shut down and saved a bunch of costly equipment at an outdoor event including my Walter Woods Ultra. A mixer board not similarly protected was fried. So, yeah, I guess you could say it's been worth the money. Means hauling another unit but it's not racked and just goes on the floor by my rig.

Furman Power Factor Pro at MF
  11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Now you're getting into protection. $230 isn't that much to pay for saving your WW head, is it.

It's hard to tell from the picture - how big is it?
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, that's the way I looked at it: $230 to protect $2300.

It's about the size of an old-fashioned desk calculator, if you can picture that. You know those old first generation jobs? Maybe 6 to 8 inches wide and similarly deep. It's got handles on the back and I just cart it around in a cloth bag with handles. No prob.
  13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
  14. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    According to specs I found off of Furman's website, it's 5.25"H x 8.13"W x 12.5"D and weighs 11lbs.

I use a 6 outlet belkin 1300 joule surge protector purchased from Home Depot that has EMI/RFI filtering.

APC also makes voltage regulators, I'd be curious how this stacks up: APC Line-R 1200VA
  15. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have sometimes thought about getting the
    Furman AR1215
    It gets more into voltage regulation but it is also a lot more $$$
  16. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    yeah the ar1215 is heavy too d:

but if you want just a strip i think the TrippLites or however you spell it are good for the $50-$100 range.

but the new Furman series 2 rack units with series tech is the real deal.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Monster is now making a whole line of rackmount and non-rackmount power conditioners. Here's a link and a couple pics.

Monster Power

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, despite their nasty litigation history, the monster floor units look good, although the furman floor unit might be better.
    the deal is kinda like this, 99% of the people that use expensive protection units (i use a pl-pro) will never need them. the other 1% will either be glad they had one or lose anywhere from $300 - $30,000 worth of equipment in a fraction of a second. I only personally know of one guy who had a major disaster due to no protective equpiment, but it cost him about $15K. Your choice.
  19. My Band will not play through generators period. It's in our contract if we sign one, but I always make that clear up front.

Here is a link to what I've been using.

Tripp Lite's ISOBAR is the world's number one selling premium suppressor series with more than 14 million satisfied customers and a safety-tested history of 20+ years

Robust surge suppression with sine-wave tracking protects against the heaviest of surge conditions, exceeding IEEE category A&B specifications and reducing 6,000V test surges to harmless levels less than 35 volts

Multi-component suppression circuits combine torroidal chokes, ferrite rod-core inductors, HF/VHF capacitors and multiple layers of metal oxide varistors into exclusive isolated filter banks that remove EMI/RFI interference, even noise from other pieces of connected equipment

4 outlets arranged in two filter banks prevent system crashes, reboots and performance problems common as noisy peripherals are powered off and on

Network grade surge suppression rated at 2200 joules / 85,000 amps

Widely spaced outlets accommodate up to 2 large transformer plugs without blocking outlets

3 LED indicators confirm suppressor operation and site wiring status, plus warning of suppressor or electrical fault conditions

Lighted power switch confirms power on/off status

6 foot AC line cord with space-saving angled input plug

Keyhole mounting tabs allow permanent installation

Set of 4 outlet covers safely seal off unused outlets

120V AC, 50/60Hz electrical compatibility

$50,000 Ultimate Lifetime Insurance (USA & Canada Only)

Lifetime product warranty

UL1449 listed - surge suppression (330V let-through), UL1283 listed - EMI protection, UL1363 listed - power tap, cUL approved to Canadian standards
  20. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Power conditioners are a rip-off unless you use a sophisticated unit that carries a price tag of better than $200. For less than that what you're getting in the average power conditioner are three MOVs (metal oxide varistors) and three capacitors, total parts cost about two bucks. A midpriced ($100) unit will add a couple of inductors, parts cost another two bucks. The big catch is that in the case of the MOVs and capacitors most gear already has those built in anyway. Bottom line, either spend a lot or don't spend anything, because in between the two extremes you're not getting anything.