No sound coming from bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Shnee, May 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Shnee

Shnee

Jan 24, 2016
    Hey all,
    I have a ESP LTD F-155dx, it is active with EMG pickups.
    Today when I plugged it into my amp to practice, I got no sound from it.
    I tried a different cord. Still no sounds
    I wiggled the input jack and no noises really came out. When I plug and unplug the cord it makes a noise like the amp is getting signal.
    I tried a different battery, I had recently replaced my battery and it was working just well up until now, but just to be sure I switched it with a spare. Still nothing.
    I opened the back plating and checked the wires, nothing looks loose and it doesn't look any different than last time I checked. I made sure my input jack was tight and securely connected.

I am very stumped as to what it could be, unless just something like my pickups or something inside the bass has gone faulty.
    Does anyone else have an idea?

2. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    Can you try the whole signal chain with another instrument ?
    I find it hard to believe that both pickups go wrong at the same time.
    Check the connection to the jack, maybe the EMGs aren't getting switched on when you put the plug in

3. Shnee

Shnee

Jan 24, 2016
    Alright, so I plugged in a shecter and it was working just fine, so that rules out my connections.
    Also when you said both pickups, it reminded me to flip my knob to switch my pickup, with no avail, still no sound. I'm wondering if it could then be the preamp? Because like you said, it wouldn't make any sense for both of my pickups to just go out like that especially when just yesterday it was playing beautifully.

4. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    Preamp would be my next suggestion. Can you rewire so that the pickups go directly to the output jack ?
    Or maybe the switch is faulty ? Or its connection to the little PCB ?

5. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I would get a volt meter and start checking. A common problem is the connection wires to the battery. I have had a few of those break, in the housing and not be obvious. I would expect it to just be a bad connection somewhere

Shnee and C_Becker like this.
  6. Shnee

Shnee

Jan 24, 2016
    I'm inexperienced with rewiring, I have a soldering iron, but I've never soldered and I'd really hate to make a big mess. I'll double check the wires thoroughly to see and I'll see if there are any simple guides to rewiring.

7. Shnee

Shnee

Jan 24, 2016
    Ah, I'll check that as well! I wasn't sure where to look when I looked at my wires earlier. Thanks!

8. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
  9. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    Oh, I though you had the newer EMGs with the solderless system. Nevermind then.

Do you get something when you plug in a tuner ?
    Check if you get battery voltage at the pickups (should be the red wire IIRC)

10. Shnee

Shnee

Jan 24, 2016
    Thanks for all your guys' help. I double checked the wires and alas! The one hooking up my battery to my input jack came off. I had checked the wires the first time and everything had been connected, but that wire must have been loose or something and then it came off the second time I checked.

C_Becker likes this.
  11. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Output jack.

Shnee, C_Becker and ak56 like this.
  12. Shnee

Shnee

Jan 24, 2016
    Ah ah.. right! Of course the bass can only put out. Lol

13. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022