1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NOBD: ESP 400 series P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrSidecar, Nov 8, 2018.

1. when a local school finally gave in to my year-long pleading to sell me this, I couldn’t resist. It’s probably mid-80s.

08FDDB4A-8CD6-4CF1-A076-BFEDCE9C37D3.

I switched the original tort guard (which was cracked at the jack) with a Fender “Pure Vintage” Gold anodised (with a surprisingly high PITA factor fitting the original ESP pickup), and put on ashtrays and tugbar, the knobs will be replaced soon. Pickup is going to be a Kloppmann P63.
    Even now, it’s the real deal. Does what it says on the can.

Best
    Sidecar

Bolsyo, andruca, ed morgan and 11 others like this.
  2. Ok.

Now it’s got The Kloppmann P63 in it. This is such a nicely playing bass, and with this pickup it sounds absolutely fabulous.

It just does everything from Jamerson/Motown to Entwistle, and I think I have a new favourite bass. My noFender ‘51 P (Kloppmann as well) is great and plays fantastic, but this bass is just the reminder of everything that makes a good (post-54) Precision work so well. Plus, it feels tank-solid, the neck fit is glovelike, the neck is just perfect... I could go on but I’d rather play now.

Best
    Sidecar

3. HappyFunTime69

HappyFunTime69

Jan 23, 2012
    Zombie thread resurrection! Dude, nice job on fixing that bass up. Yours has the fender shaped headstock which is kind of rare. It’s probably a very early example before the whole lawsuit thing. I *think* they started building them in ‘84 from my research, but it doesn’t seem like anyone, including ESP, really knows for sure. The 400 series are truly excellent basses. I obtained one from a studio going out of business. Mine has a date of ‘86 penciled on the neck heel. took out the EMG pickup and put some fender original 62’s and 250k CTS pots with a .1 pio cap in and it is now my my main instrument. One of the best p basses I have ever played, period. I’ve heard the 400 series referred to as a ‘poor mans sadowsky.’ Maybe by todays equivalent, seeing how our basses are passive throwbacks the p’s of yesteryear, it could be considered a poor mans Moollon. Either way, the only way I’ll give up my esp is if it’s ripped from my cold, dead hands! Now you’ve got me thinking a tug bar and some ash tray covers might be in order to really give it the look! Congrats again on your acquisition, I wish you many years of happiness with her. But just in case you ever decide to part ways, I’ll be first in line to give her a good home :) FEF64CD0-F9E6-4EC3-AF7B-F393B454AB5F.

Crusher47, MrSidecar and andruca like this.
  4. This vintage ESP s , both p and j are some of my favorite basses of any era at any price. Enjoy them.

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I usually read threads about people donating instruments to cash and gear poor schools.

This thread has me confused.

6. HappyFunTime69

HappyFunTime69

Jan 23, 2012
    It’s usually sunny out where I live, I don’t get confused when it rains. This was a NBD thread, the seller just happened to be a school. Not all schools are poor, and the op didn’t afaik force the school to give it to him. But the way you phrased your comment it almost seems like your trying to do some subtle character assassination on the op, like he stole the bass from some poor, marginalized school and is now bragging about it, when there is literally no evidence of this whatsoever.

7. Charlie,
    No offence taken;

HappyFunTime,
    thanks for defending me-

there’s actually nothing fishy going on here. I know some teachers of the school because I play with them and we have permission to rehearse there. Saw the bass, fell in love, and after some negotiations, I paid a perfectly reasonable price that wasn’t blown up but wasn’t a rip-off either. The school’s headmaster figured it better to give the instrument to someone who appreciates it, and had the chance to buy some other gear they needed with my money.

Plus, schools here are not at all facing the same neglect public schools in the US are. Here, schools operate on reasonable budgets and nobody marginalises them. Plus again, this happens to be a private school.

So, no reason to not keep on breathing normally.

Best
    Sidecar

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Sorry @MrSidecar and @HappyFunTime69

I could have worded that better. Let’s start again.

“Happy NBD.

How did you manage to get a school to sell music gear? Here in my community they don’t have an excess and it strikes me as unusually that they would part with anything in serviceable condition.”

Of course, your explanation was perfect and I now understand. I did not meant to “assassinate” your character, this was just so unexpected that I was at a loss.

Thanks

MrSidecar likes this.
  9. All cool, no worries.

Best
    Sidecar