Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

noise problem with sansamp setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by soundoholic, Apr 11, 2004.

1. I'm running my bass through my effects setup(sansamp bass DI - Boss Bass Overdrive - Boss Bass Chorus - Boss Bass synth) and then to my Sansamp RBI. It makes a tonnnn of noise whenever I hit the Sansamp bass di. But it will stop whenever I turn the active button off, on the RBI. I have tried running this setup through the effects loop and the same thing happens. any ideas? The noise is a major hum.

2. Are you using good quality leads? That was a problem for me and my bass/amp then a new fat lead, no noise.

3. how are you powering the pedals?

could be an earth loop problem.

do the boss pedals produce hum with the sansamp removed completely from the setup?

does the sansamp produce hum on its own?

try using a separate power supply for the sansamp.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Are you using both a SansAmp BDDI and an RBI together? If so, that's a no-no and would explain why the problem resolves itself when you run the RBI in passive mode. I have both models, as well. I use the BDDI for preloading my Eden combo and use the RBI as the rack-mounted preamp for my Crest / Acme B-4 rig. Hey....does that setup sound familar?

5. stoic dan

stoic dan

Apr 20, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    I have no experience with the SansAmp BDDI, but I do have the RBI. That preamp is clear as a bell, and unless it is damaged, should not be adding any noise to your setup, even in active mode.
    Boss pedals can get noisy, depending on the effect type and power source. One at a time, remove each pedal from your train and see if the noise goes away.
    If you're using batteries, make sure they're fresh. If you're using an adaptor, then you may have a ground looping/phasing problem. That's a situation remedied by the Voodo Labs power supply - a great unit for players with lots of different types of effects.
    Another good place to check is in your cables. Make sure they are all working properly, as short as possible inbetween pedals, and are not overlapping or near your power cables of any sort, as they can pick up interferance.

I hope that helps out some.

- dan