1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noiseless J for a Jaguar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by burpgun, Jun 8, 2018.

1. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    Hey all. I have a Fender American Standard Jaguar bass. I'm a Precision guy so I'm totally happy with the P pickup in this bass. But I'm not into the J pickup at all. I usually play through at least a little dirt, and the hum from the J is just not working for me.

So, with that in mind: What sort of noiseless J pickup would you put in this guy? I'd be cool if it was voiced like a P pickup, if that's even possible. This bass also has a series/parallel switch that affects the P and J pickups, so I'm not sure if that's a consideration. Also, looking to keep the price under $100. Thanks for your thoughts!

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Maybe DiMarzio Model J? Ive heard it can sounds like a P, though differences are more pronounced in bridge locations, so who knows... either way, I think you want a split coil J, it’s imo your best bet. As to what will sound good, who knows...