Noiseless pickup swap for Fender Standard Jazz...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Solude, Dec 15, 2017.

Noiseless pup of choice for Jazz

Poll closed Dec 29, 2017.
  1. Fender Gen4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Seymour Apollo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Aguilar 4J-NC

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Dimarzio Ultra Jazz

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Other, comment below

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    I finally pulled the trigger on my second bass and it's a Jazz but I hate buzz so the pups have to go. So what set of noiseless pups still sound like a Jazz but are noiseless? Basically not looking for a set that sounds too similar to the Precision I already have.

2. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    I have fralin split j’s in a bass and they sound just like jazz pickups, not like Precision pickups. Also, they’re very clear and actually noiseless.

RedJag, PawleeP and InhumanResource like this.
  3. GinoBass

GinoBass

May 2, 2006
    Dimarzio UJ. Stone quiet, great jazz tone. Installed them 10 yrs ago in my MIM Jazz, those and TI rounds = yum

macmanlou likes this.
  4. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    My concern with the DUJ is that they appear to be bar magnets and not pole magnets like the others on the list.

5. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    I suppose the obvious and possibly silly question is whether the MIM uses standard sizing for bridge and neck or is it odd/equal sized?

6. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

PawleeP likes this.
  7. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Aguilar hum cancelling

8. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    IIRC, after 2001 should be standard Fender. Before 2001 both pickups will be the same (neck size).

Solude likes this.
  9. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Noiseless pickups to check out-
    Price friendly - Dimarzio Area
    Higher budget - Lindy Fralin Split Coil

PawleeP, Eric ER and 4StringTheorist like this.
  10. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Thank you that simplifies things :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  11. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    If you go with the ultras, be advised that they sound different than normal jazz pickups. They lose a lot of the mids and sounds overall "darker" in a band mix.

If you like the way your bass sounds, you might want to try a little diy project of shielding everything with conductive tape (it's cheap) and seeing if there buzz improves.

12. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    mine are noiseless when i turn in the right direction....LOL #singlecoils rule

Zane DeBord and Tommyc like this.
  13. InnerBass

InnerBass Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Thumpn' Happily
    Nordstrand Noiseless J's

14. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Old MIM's (approx. 2005 and earlier) had two pickups the same size. Newer ones are the same size as USA. I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that if they had white plastic numbered knobs, like a strat, those are ones with two same p/u's.

15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I replaced my noiseless pickups with a set of Lindy Fralin. I had them over wound 8% to get more lows and mids but still get the highs. They sound great. I do a lot of music for television and my business partner who produces and records all the time has told me its the best sounding Jazz bass he's ever heard. Nordtsrand NJ4, NJ4SV Hum Cancelling and Fender Custom 60 and 70s pickups are also nice. It really depends on the sound you want.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  16. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Guessing that direction is not towards the PC and turning away from the screen probably makes for weird online lessons ;)

17. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Definitely a lot of love for the Fralin but I wonder if it's worth the price bump over the others especially cross border? I can get the Aguilar new for a great price locally so I might maybe go that way... yeah?

18. The Nordstrand NJ4SV are nice, but have this sort of high end "sheen" (for lack of a better) word, that I didn't like. By "high end" I mean frequencies, not price (although they're also high end pickups pice-wise — so many similar adjectives!).

The Dimarzio Area Js are real nice and not expensive, and are very close to the original jazz sound.

Aguilar hum cancelling pickups sound very close to the area Js, but have SLIGHTLY less low end and maybe a hair more highs.

I have Area Js in one bass. I had them in another, but unlike the ones in the first bass, they were a bit microphonic (they'd pick up the sound of my fingers hitting the case). It led me to think that maybe the quality control isn't super good on them. I replaced them in that bass with the Aguilars.

19. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I have Fender noiseless in my Jazz, but I only got it yesterday, and it hasn't seen a stage yet. They sound good in my office. My fretless Jazz has EMG's and while they are good, they don't sound like Jazz p/u's.

20. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021