Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noisy Schertler Pre-A II

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by JohnThomasson, Dec 8, 2003.

1. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Have any of the Schertler Pre-A II owners had problems with noisy signals from PreA. I am getting a hiss that is similar to tape noise in a cassette deck without Dolby NR on it. It is not incredibly loud, but it is loud enough that I can't use the preamp in the studio or on quiet gigs. I have tried all kinds of different configurations in different locations and still get the same noise. I get the noise whether I am using my Dyn-B or Stat-B through and amp, direct to my MOTU recording interface or direct to house PA systems and studios that I have worked in. It is worse with the Stat-B since it has a lower gain and I have to boost it with the PreA. I also had a bunch of problems with ground noise issues on my last tour. No problems with my other gear, but 75% of the time the noise rendered the PreA useless, even after using the lift. I finally gave up and I just run the Dyn-B straight to the board. What do you guys think? Did I get a dud? If not, I am really disappointed in the quality of of the Pre (especially for the $$$). I wrote Lou Rotten and I am waiting for a reply from him. Are there any other alternatives to the PreA for use with the Schertler pick-ups?

Thanks

2. I think (hope...) you have a "monday morning"(or is that "friday afternoon"?) item. I have the same preamp (for about half a year now) and it is as quiet as can be. I use it to record, to rehearse and to gig, and in each setting it functions perfectly. I am a kind of a nitpicking person, so if there would be any noise, I would notice it.

Vincent

3. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    That's what I am thinking. Maybe I got a bad one. The quality of the pickups would lead me to think that the preamp should be silent. I don’t think I am being too picky. I can use it live, but I notice it. I really can’t use it in the studio, which is a shame because the Dyn-B is great as a reinforcement to a quality mic. Hopefully they will replace it.

4. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Mine is very quiet. No real noise to speak of at all.

5. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Here is an example. It is straight into my MOTU 896HD. I am using high quality cords. You will have to trust me that the gain structure is right between the Volume and the Gain knobs on the unit. I didn't alter the recording with EQ or normalized it. The example has the Stat-B through the PreA-II. I have some silence, and then I play a few notes. Nothing fancy with the playing, just a couple of notes. I don't think I am being too picky.I hope you guys can hear the noise. This is also what I hear through my Acoustic Image.

http://johnthomasson.com/PreATestwStat.mp3

BTW, I am a big fan of the Dyn-B and like a more natural sound. The Stat-B sounds more metalic than I like, but it is better than most pick-ups. I need to put my gut strings back on.

6. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Wait a minute. You're using the Stat-B with the Pre-A II? I thought that you should use the Stat-B with the Stat preamp that comes with it?

If I feed my Dyn-B with the Pre-A II right into my Echo Mona 24/96, I get a slight buzz. However it's not noticeable if I send the signal from the preamp to my amp (AI Coda).

7. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I opted to just go with the PreA for both the Dyn-B and Stat-B. I was told by Lou Rotten and some other players that it will work fine. I am starting to think that it isn't a good combo. I have to push the phantom power button to use it with the Stat-B. Retailers do sell the Stat-B without the Stat-pre so you can save money if you are already getting the Pre-A. Maybe I just need to get the Stat-pre. The Pre-A is a little quieter with the Dyn-B since I don't have to push the gain so much.

8. You can use your Stat-B with your Pre-A without any problem. In fact, the French distributor of Schertler (www.gougi.com) sells this combination as the "Pro" version of the Stat. So that shouldn't be the cause of your problem.

BTW: as far as I know Lou Roten no longer is the USA representative of Schertler. Check www.schertlerusa.com for more info.

BTW2: when I record directly with just the Dyn and the Pre, I don not hear any noise at all. Could it be that I, living in Holland, use the preamp with a 230V adapter instead of the USA adapter? Just a thought...

Vincent

9. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Mine is whisper quiet, and I've had great luck with it in the studio. I use it for both the Dyn and Stat B.

I'm using the Stat a lot lately. With the right amp (I'm using the Pub), it can really sound natural and cut through drums slightly better than the Dyn B.

10. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Monte (or others)-
    How do you usually have the pre-a set when using the Stat-B? Like volume and gain set at 12:00? Of course I have the input DC supply turned on. I just heard from Lou with LNRmusic. He told me to send it back so he can test it and replace it if needed. He said he would pay for shipping. Great guy! Do you guys hear the noise in my MP3 example? Mine is relatively quiet with the Dyn-B, but it is noisey with the Stat.

John

11. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I useally have the gain a little less than 50% with the Stat, but pretty close.

I just listened to the track and didn't hear it, but I have noisy computer speakers.

Lou is a great guy to deal with.

12. Yo Adrian, or anyone else.

I'm interested in trying the Dyn-B with my Coda. Do I need the preamp or could I just go right into the mic channel of the Coda, since it's an XLR? Also, how much does the Dyn-B cost by itself?

Thanks, etc.

13. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    I dont suppose there was any solution to this problem?

Im now having the same issue with the Pre-A III.

Its a new unit, Ive tried all combinations of gain volume and outputs, even tried running it with a battery to eliminate the power supply as the problem.

To get enough instrument volume there is just way too much hiss.

14. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I have a Pre-A III now (replaced the II that I reference earlier in the thread). It doesn't see much action as I usually just use a parametric these days with my Dyn B instead of a preamp.

I pulled it out to test this afternoon putting a preamp in front of my Heil PR40 mic to try to get more volume and it was quiet. Much quieter than other preamps I've owned......I'd venture to say quiet enough to use for studio purpose.

How did you run on battery?

15. I tried running the Dyn-B directly into a Focus once and it didn't sound very good. If I remember right, the sound was weak and very low volume. The Schertler pre-amp REALLY made the thing come to life.

I don't remember the cost of the Dyn-B.

mark

16. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Connected 2x 6volt lantern batteries to the appropriate sized connector with a wire, which basically replaces the function of the AC adapter without any chance of mains supply interference.

17. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    i would contact them directly - info@schertler.com

always better to go directly to the source .

Nuno