1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Non-permanent thumb rest?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Randy S, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    Has anyone tried a thumb rest attached with some sort of adhesive that won't mess up the finish on the bass, and could be possibly removed at some point?

I have a bass where the optimum point for me is between the neck pickup and the neck, and I'm looking for ideas for a thumb rest that would not be a permanent change in the instrument.

Thanks to all...

2. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    Does the bass has a pickguard?

3. Expensive option:
    If you play a four string, buy a five and use the B.

Less expensive:
    REALLY good double sided tape on a conventional thumb rest. My ramp is attached with two sided tape and it never budges. If you manage to move it, place it slightly angled and use less pressure.

Without a bass:
    Belt loops work well. :D

kamyon and Doctor Hugocat like this.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Even a non-permanent thumb rest can leave a mark, if only because the finish will fade different under the rest.

I used a thumb rest for years. But I stopped using them. I found they anchored my thumb too much. So now I rest my thumb on the edge of the pick guard.

5. That foamy 3M double sided tape is viciously sticky and would be a pain to get the residue off. Even if you used some Goof Off or something you risk leaving fine scratches in that area just from rubbing so much. Besides that I wouldn't trust the foam in the middle to last very long. Usually when you remove that tape you remove one half of the glue and one half of the foam, while the other half remains.

I would like to hear what some others suggest as well, i'd like to put one on without drilling any holes myself.

6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Go to the hardware store and buy stick-on square rubber feet like you put on the bottom of a table or something. They come in black, white and clear. Cut one in half so you have one flat edge. Stick it on the bass with the flat side pointed up to rest your thumb on.

SJ-5518BK.

Treadstone71 likes this.
  7. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    This position varies greatly from bass to bass. On a Rick you have 0.5" - 1"; on a Jazz, about 4"; on a P-bass, about 5". Have you considered using the neck/body joint? Works for me.

I've also used a thin pick bent in half and wedged under the PG:

Finally, a use for pick on bass. :spit:

Attached Files:

Doctor Hugocat likes this.
  8. Wow. I don't have any basses that could take advantage of that but that is super interesting.
    I love little DIY projects like that.

9. I use 3m double-sided tape - the one that's translucent (not the white spongy one) and with the red backing tape. No problems whatsoever. If you take the tape out, it gives way in one piece not like the white spongy tape. This is why I used it to mount a neck pup cover and ashtray on a MIM Jazz Bass. Did this to find the best position for the thumb rest and ended using this as a permanent method of attaching the thumb rest.

10. ^ That's the stuff!

11. I've never used that before, but I am now! Thanks for the heads up, the white foamy version is all i've known.

12. That's GREAT tip. I want to put a pup cover and ashtray on my P without drilling holes in it. Thought about double sided tape but that foam stuff is crap. Very glad to know about the 3M. Thanks!

13. belimad

belimad

Mar 2, 2011
    London, UK
    I use double sided 3m tape. Works great on my acoustic Martin. No noticeable marks left on the mahogany surface

14. I use 3M tape on the ones I have made for my 5-'ers,it holds until you want it off and doesn't leave a mark...

Attached Files:

15. CertifiedLurker

CertifiedLurker

Nov 20, 2008
    MD
    If there's a pickguard take out an existing screw and screw in a plastic thumb rest w/ a slightly longer screw of the same diameter.

16. AgressivePassiv

AgressivePassiv

Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  17. Another (cheap) way to go....

Home Depot has free samples of laminate flooring in various flavors. They're the perfect size for a ramp/ thumb rest. Two-sided tape. Bam, done. You can trim the male edge down and paint all the edges if you want to be elegant about it. I made one for my L-1500. Looked great, worked great.

18. There is a product out there called the "Zero-Mod" that uses existing pick guard screws for mounting on a variety of basses.

Home

Contact @groucho on here, he'll set you up. Great guy, great product. I have one on my Ric.

Gilmourisgod and groucho like this.
  19. AgressivePassiv

AgressivePassiv

Feb 3, 2011
    Thanks. I tried the zero mod and it's great but I'm looking to anchor closer to the strings and in between the pickups on my Rickenbacker 4003W. I spoke with Tim from zero-mod about a custom piece which he may be able to make later this year once he gets his own in house cnc machine.

I also tried 2 treble bezels from Pick of the Rics, deluxe and cove. That works great too but it's a little awkward for me. I'm trying get to the same position I'm used to with my P bass. The thumb rest should get me to my sweet spot.

The thumb rest I bought matches the walnut wings on the bass and should look like it belongs there, I'm gonna mount it where the walnut meets the maple. I'll have to sand part of it down since it will be about 75% on the pick guard and 25% on the wood. I'll post pics when I'm finished. Just waiting on the tape.

blindrabbit likes this.
  20. AgressivePassiv

AgressivePassiv

Feb 3, 2011
    Done! This tape great! It's held up after a bunch of 3 hour rehearsals and I'm sure it won't come off until I choose to make it come off. I only put the tape on the pick guard side, now zero chance for residue on the wood. The screws are dummies btw, I cut off the heads and glued them in. I didn't like the look of the empty holes. image. image.