Non-reverse Thunderbird body with a jazz bass neck, how much?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Collin Bass, Oct 30, 2020.

1. I may have the chance to buy one of these and was wondering if anybody could help me out with how much it should be worth? I am a huge fan Entwistle who is the only person I've ever seen with a similar bass. And I freaking love it.

Now, I don't have all of the details yet and I realize there can be a huge number of variables. But can anybody help me with how much, ballpark, I can expect to offer so that neither myself nor the seller get screwed over?

Attached Files:

MCF and godofthunder59 like this.
  2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    That looks like a legit 66-69 Thunderbird body with original pg, hardware and a added pickup. J neck seems to be relatively new. I would personally be all over that. 2k range seems reasonable to me.

Gaolee, wraub, MCF and 1 other person like this.
  3. I'm gonna try, been looking for this exact same thing for a while!

4. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    I'd probably go up to 3k for it, the thing has 3 vintage Thunderbird pickups on it, they are worth about $500 apiece.

MCF likes this.
  5. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    On closer inspection the middle pickup is definitely a 60's unit, bridge is possibly a '76, neck pickup doesn't seem to have adjusting screws. Hard to say from the relatively poor quality picture. I still dig it.

MCF likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    We would need a LOT more close up pics to really be able to help you out.

Also, what does the owner CLAIM it is? Does the current owner know the origin of the body? The neck? The electronics?

We don't have enough information to help. Not even close.

7. I know there isn't much info there at all. I am waiting on the details. The little bit of research I have TRIED seems to go along with @godofthunder59 's thoughts. I don't know a whole lot about older Gibson stuff. Fender, yes. Gibson, very limited. And I don't know the details yet. Basically the owner has passed away and I am a friend of a friend of his friend. I'm not pushing because I don't want to be a douche about it. If I don't get it, I don't get it. I want it, but not at the expense of being inconsiderate or pushy during someone else's loss. Will definitely post more info once I get it.

wraub likes this.
  8. You were right. Hit the nail on the head with everything. My buddy took it apart and looked at it. All 60s and 70s electronics and hardware. 60s chopped up third and I don't know why none of us were able to read the headstock (Precision) but it is a 70s precision neck and headstock. Unfortunately, I was 2nd in line and our mutual friend picked it up for 1500.00 CAD. DANG!!!!!!

Gaolee and godofthunder59 like this.
  9. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Bummer it looked cool as anything! I would have loved it myself. Maybe your friend won't bond with it and sell it to you? Hope springs eternal.

Collin Bass and Gaolee like this.
  10. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Offer that friend the 2 grand. ;)

Bassdirty likes this.
  11. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    So that's a real vintage 70's Precision neck? Worth the price of admission alone!!!!!

12. Yeah, the parts are worth way more than the bass itself. Oh well!

13. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

That mutual friend just scored in a big way. I don't even like NR Thunderbirds that much, but that one would be an exception.

14. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    @godofthunder59 = he who knows. In high school I'd have sold my parents and kid brother for that bass.

15. Yeah, I wanted it pretty badly. :crying:

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022