1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

non-tab sit?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Bass., Nov 2, 2006.

1. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    Are there any sites that have actual written music?

simple question huh...

2. Get yourself a copy of Guitar Pro or something similar, the .gpx files will show the standard notation as well as tab, plus you can have the tab play while showing the chosen instruments' part, mute instruments etc etc. It's a great tool.

3. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    I've only encountered one with a real score (and that was only one song from a list of hundreds which were merely tabbed). There are issues with people going so far as to put it all out there. One is if a person transcribed a song accurately on their own, why just give it away? There's no incentive to do all that work. But if they charged for it then the artist copyright would be infringed unless there's a negotiated business relationship. It stinks. I just wish that artists would publish real transcriptions that we could pay for. But once again, they may not see a big enough market to bother.

4. They do...at least for more maintstream/popular bands, the albums are often transcribed into books. One need only walk into a music store to view the plethora of Metallica music books, for example ...

5. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    Besides GuitarPro, I like, and prefer cause it's free, PowerTab. Yes, both programs take input and primarily display the music in tab format, but the actual score is shown to accompany it, so it's not just tab. Tabs are forthemostpart considered freeware and hosted on several sites for both programs.

What about a Real Book? It's not online, and it's not free, but it's not tab.

From what I've seen, although my search hasn't been extensive, score is rare, and most of the times not free. Any schmoe and write and upload a tab, but apparently (and please correct me if I'm wrong) if you wrote out the score for a song and offered it for download it would be considered a copywright infringement. I'm not aware of ANY public domain sheet music. Maybe it's due to the fact that tab technically isn't the whole song due to it not having rhythm/timing.

6. Regardless of how it's presented (tab or notation) if you're relying on information published on the internet you still need to realise thats their interpretation, and not necessarily the most effective or theoretically correct way to notate a song.

I've seen just as many bad examples of standard notation available on the web as I have on bass tab sites ;)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Examples...links?

8. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...