1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

noob in need

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pepsi_can, Jul 27, 2007.

1. pepsi_can

pepsi_can

Jul 27, 2007
    Hey all,

:hyper: I was wondering what would be a good starter bass to pick up. I don't want to buy an expensive one, because i'm not too sure if i will stick with it. What are some good basses and some websites that i can buy from? my price range is up to 300$.. any ideas? :bassist: :help:

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    People really seem to like the SX basses from rondomusic.net here. I'm about to buy one as a backup for my Warwicks and mod the hell out of it for fun.

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Take a look at Fender, Squire Basses they have a few options available in that range..
    A Precision Bass or Jazz bass will get you off to a good start...

all the best

4. pepsi_can

pepsi_can

Jul 27, 2007
    The SXs look good.. any morewebsites or ideas?
    :>:"??

5. cash87

cash87

Jun 26, 2006
    Louisville Ky
    Ibanez soundgear are good starter basses

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Look into the Yamaha RBX line, too.

7. ebay a mexican fender

8. get a squier from muiciansfriend.com

9. pepsi_can

pepsi_can

Jul 27, 2007
    yeah i've seen some of those how about a starter set? any good ones?

10. My soundgear was $750Cad. Thought it was more a midrange price (For non-boutique basses)... mindyou it is a 5 string, don't knwo what the 4's go for.

I actually rented a bass from a GC for a few months before I decided if I wanted to play bass, only cost like $15 a month or something.

Aside form that, the Fender squire is the standard starter bass around my city.

11. pepsi_can

pepsi_can

Jul 27, 2007
    good idea well i'm gonna rent one for 6 months its a Yamaha and i'll hope for the best.. thanks all:hyper:

12. good luck

13. pepsi_can

pepsi_can

Jul 27, 2007
    why should i play the bass, i mean i think it would be cool, but it would it be really hard to learn? im going to rent a bass to see if it like it, but can you guys give me som really good reasons to play? im not sure if im gonna stick with it :meh:

14. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    My daughter says all the "cute guys" play bass. I started with an old supro back in the '70's. I would look at a Ibanez SR 500 or a Schecter. There are some nice Epiphones. I would also look for a decent used bass. If you don't like it you might take less of a bath on selling it. What I would do first off is go somewhere and play everything. :bassist:

15. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    You're on the biggest Bass forum on the internet i hope you know :) We have plenty of reasons!

But the #1 reason is cause it's hella fun!

16. pepsi_can

pepsi_can

Jul 27, 2007
    ya well my friends want me to play and i just dont know if i really want to that much, i mean whats so cool about it?

17. pepsi_can

pepsi_can

Jul 27, 2007
    yeah the bass is a cool thing but please tell me more!:hyper:

18. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Sup Pepsi-Can,

I'm going to give you my honest opinion. Many people on this site have a passion for bass. I am a strong believer in the thought that you will know what instrument you want to play when you play it. For me, I was never interested in guitar, I tried to play acoustic, but it just didn't interest me. When I was forced to pick up a bass at music lessons at school, I instantly knew I wanted to play. Took me 4 years of waiting and wishing 'till I finally got my first bass, and I still love playing as much as I did that very first day I picked one up. There are 4 other bassists at that school, and all of them have been playing for over 5 years. I have been playing for 2 and I am already better than all of them. Surprisingly, when I asked them why they took up bass, every single one answered "My band already had a guitarist" or "my friends wanted me too". I believe that if you have a passion or certain connection with an instrument you will excel over those who play because they have been told to.

If you want to get out there and shred and melt faces with solo's, take up guitar. Don't let your friends talk you into playing something you aren't interested in. The bassist may 80% of the time look like we are just standing out of the spotlight and playing boring stuff, but believe me, we ARE having fun.

Hiring a bass is a good idea, see if you really enjoy it. That's all I have to say. :)

19. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Peavey millennium would be your best bet IMAO, If you want so really good pickups then go gor the AC BXP (use the same pickups as the Cirrus which is an amazing bass), these are amazing basses for the price and are easily worth 100$ more, you will not be disappointed, very gig worthy too. That or buy used.

Normal Millenium
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Millennium-BXP-4String-Bass-Guitar?sku=511369

AC BXP (don't worry doesn't only come in Purple)
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Millennium-4-AC-BXP-4String-Bass?sku=511400

both are great basses.