Noob question...Bass-Mixer setup

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by EricF, Sep 19, 2006.

1. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    We've started recording some tracks on my guitar player's home studio setup (Mackie mixer, Cubase). I've been plugging my bass directly into the mixer (1/4" input into built-in preamp). The sound isn't great.

Will things be much improved by using a SansAmp or other DI box into a balanced input?

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    a good DI will make a difference. Matching the impedence really thickens up the sound. Im not sure what Pre's are on mackie but ive never been real impressed with any mackie pre's. The onyx ones are supposed to be good but ive never checked them out. Going into a great channel strip will make a world of difference. Try eq'ing on the board.

3. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I hope this isn't a silly question, but why aren't you using a bass amp? Almost all bass amps have a line out or preamp out that will plug directly into the line input on the mixer or even into the recorder depending on its interface. If it doesn't have a line out you can always mic the speaker and get better sounding results than the way you're doing it now. If you don't have an amp available, going through a SansAmp, DI box, bass modelor pedal, rack preamp/channel strip etc... will also be a huge improvement.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021