1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

noob question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xdsummersx, Sep 11, 2008.

1. xdsummersx

xdsummersx

Oct 21, 2007
    when tube amps are lets say 200 watts, it that alot louder and more power then lets say a ss thats 200 watts and if so is there any way to compare the two?

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I think I know what you're asking...you're asking if tube watts are more powerful than solidstate watts? I would definitely say yes.

I have an SWR 350x SS head rated at 350 watts. I also have a vintage Ampeg V4-B rated at 100 watts. If I run them back to back with the same cabinet configuration the Ampeg blows the SWR away. But the Ampeg V4-B also breaks up at a lower volume meaning I don't get as clean of a signal as I do with the SWR, but that's just one of the characteristics of a tube amp - take it or leave it.

3. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    My understanding is that watts is watts, so the power would be the same. But.... The human ear perceives the volume as louder due to the enhanced harmonic content of the sound amplified by tubes. My SVTII pro with 300 watts sounds louder to me than my Eden WT800 bridged at 1,000 watts.
    There is probably a better explanation - but that is what I heard, read or something....

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The V4B is breaking up once it gets past 100w, so even though you can crank it louder, you're getting distortion, so it doesn't count. Watts is watts...the only difference is you can crank a tube amp louder and it still sounds good, whereas once you get a SS amp past its RMS rating, it breaks up in an ugly way and is unusable past its RMS rating. But if two amps are truly the samw wattage, the clean sounds will top out at the same volume.