Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nordstrand Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Apr 6, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I did a search for Nordstrand bass threads and after wading through half of the 500 pages I came up with, I mostly found info about his pickups, so bear with me if this has been covered :)

I was poking around Carey's site, and the GAS is very apparent :) I want to get a custom bass in the future and I think his basses would fit the bill. Even his basic NJ model looks very nice and the price fits the bill very much.

How many of you here own a Nordstrand? Does anyone have an NJ specifically? What can you tell me about the basses and working with Carey on your purchase? From his posts here he seems like a great guy. Also, what was your wait time?

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    You need to ask Carey himself these questions.

3. I have never played a better bass than the Nordstrand I own. Carey is one of the few truely gifted luthiers in the world. I have never seen better attention to detail in executing complex design expectations. He was great to work with, understands both the instrument and the craft well and will not let you screw it up! :)

I would not hesitate to have him build another one for me.

I would be happy to answer any questions I can regarding my experience with Nordstrand.

Jeff

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Actually I can't ask him what other people think of his basses or what their personal wait time was :)

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    All I know is he's tied for #1 on my list of custom basses to be made, along with Pete Skjold- ;)

6. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Expect a wait time of up to a year....you will not find a better built bass on the planet, period. Everyone has their opinions, and take them for what they are worth. However, I have known Carey for over a decade, and I count him as one of my close, personal friends. He's a wonderful human being, will accommodate your needs, and will flawlessly execute your wishes.
    I first met Carey when he was doing repairs at Redlands Guitar Shop, and I was the recipient of the first bass he ever built for someone from the ground up. Even back then, he had the touch. He's a very thoughtful person, and really puts everything he has into whatever project he takes on.

If you get one of his basses, you will get what you ask for. He executes YOUR wishes. Know what you want!

For what it's worth, I truly believe that there are only a FEW luthiers out their that can put out a consistently great product. Carey is one of them. His sh*t is flawless.

'Nuff said?

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    FLAWLESS- there is not a better built bass- Carey is tops, in fact, he is one of my two favorite luthiers. And there are ways to get one without waiting a year... you gotta ask the right guys ( kidding, Jacochops )-
    You will NOT go wrong with one-

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    +1000....

~S~

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

They are definitely great basses. At the top of their class. I think there are many other basses just as good.

And Carey will point out many flaws in his own work. The only thing is you won't notice it until he points it out. ;)

I would not hesitate getting a bass from him and have actually planned on it a few times until financial issues arose. I would recommend going through Adrian Garcia, because A) He's a great great guy and B) It would make me feel better since I've screwed him a few times now.

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...???...

~S~

11. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Right right, take it back.

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    LOL! Jared, don't even worry about anything- we are way cool, bro!
    Jared had to cancel an order, no biggie... ( or wast it 2 , you jerk! ;) )

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Carey is a great guy. I bought a set of his pup's used from someone else, but he still treated me as if I bought them from him. He was very kind with his time, and was patient with my ignorant questions.

I have a couple hundred dollars set aside to buy some more of his pups. Once my love affair with the Jazz style basses is over, I'll be looking for Adrian or Jay to get me one of Carey's basses.

-Mike

14. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ;)

Right-on! :smug:

15. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Adrian's setting me up with a Nordstrand NX6 through a slot that someone else let go - did I get your slot, Jared? (I bought your iAmp 800, BTW! - still love it, it's driving a couple of Bergantino cabs now.)

Adrian's been great to work through so far - I've done business with him before although this is the first time I've had a bass built through him. Anxiously awaiting the onset of the build phase :hyper: ... I need to talk tone on the phone with you, bro Adrian! (and maybe Carey too)

Greg

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Adrian and Jay, both GREAT dealers.. but Adrian is MUCH more handsome! :D :rolleyes:

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Greg, tomorrow is great- i have been SUPER busy gigging ( thank GOD!) and chose this week to host a nice flu virus

18. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    No problemo - you need a good doctor ;)

I'll give you a call tomorrow or maybe Friday...

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    you said it! i am getting old ungracefully. I wish you were closer, what would be cooler than having a bassist doctor!

20. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Carey's a class act. My bass isn't completed, so I have nothing to judge his craftmanship by...... yet ;) But from what everyone else has said, it's nothing short of impeccable.

However, what I can say is that the experience I've had so far dealing with him has been pretty humbling - he'll see that you get your perfect bass while making sure that you're not making any bad decisions in the process; all without trace of arrogance or impatience.

And pretty much whatever else everyone has said :D