1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand Big Blades?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sevdog, Jan 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sevdog

sevdog Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    I did a quick search, didnt see anything.

Anybody see this yet? Looks promising. I wonder how they'll compare to Barts.

Jeff O'Connor and Randyt like this.
  2. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Very interesting. I do wish Nordstrand would stop coming out with so many pickups I like. I can't afford to keep buying them...

Jeffrey Wash and Carey like this.
  3. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Very cool. I like the looks and sound of those.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Bronx, NY
    Have been wondering about these....maybe we'll hear more after NAMM.

5. sevdog

sevdog Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    Yeah, I'm hoping to hear more about the release soon. I'm considering a custom build this year and these would probably get the nod.

6. BeorhtDana

BeorhtDana

Sep 7, 2014
    I see these are available on BBG now. Anyone pulled the trigger? I'm probably going to buy a set for my Spector but I don't quite have enough ducats yet.

7. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    these are on my list for something down the road also

8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
  9. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    mo, I can't figure out from reading on there. Are these single coil, or humbucking?

10. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    single coil…. we are working on humcan version as we speak….

11. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    will the hum cancelling ones be splittable?

12. BeorhtDana

BeorhtDana

Sep 7, 2014
    Ordered a pair earlier this week from bestbassgear.com. They said it'll be 8-10 weeks so looks like I'll have to be patient. I'll record some before and after clips if anyone is interested.

kkaarrll likes this.
  13. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    yes

please

would an audere hum cancel preamp matched with these single coil version be the noise free jazz bass I am looking for?

14. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    John here in the shop is wrapping up the BBG shipment of Big Blades right now. I really hope they don't take 8-10 weeks to ship them to you. :)

15. johndough247

johndough247 Supporting Member

Very curious about these...I'm contemplating a custom 1-pickup build and now I'm wondering which would have a more aggressive growl between the big blades and the Bigman when put in the P-Bass sweet spot?

16. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Obviously, I can't speak as to the blades since they're not out yet but I do have a bigman in the sweet spot on a Sandberg bass and it has growl for days. It's almost too much when run in series but in parallel, it's really great. Nice, clean highs and lows but that growly midrange presence is always prominent.

edit: Looks like they are out now just not much info about the sound qualities yet.

johndough247 likes this.
  17. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Elk Grove Village, IL
    I'm thinking about a Warmoth build that would have these Big Blade pickups. I definitely have a problem developing with Warmoth. Now, I'm finding Nordstrand to be my favorite pickup manufacturer and somewhat of an enabler. With so many pickup options, there are quite a few killer basses that I could build. LOL

For those of you who never dealt with Nordstand before, they have GREAT customer service, too.

18. bassbooty

bassbooty -Rey

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    Anyone know the tonal differences between the Big Blades & Big Singles?

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  19. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Anybody got their hands on these yet? Seriously intrigued...

20. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I have a pair getting delivered tomorrow from BestBassGear.