1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand Big Blades?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sevdog, Jan 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    thank you very much!
    First, hope talking about this I'm not infringing the CUP here on TB !

This is my #1 bass of my official new line of basses debuted at NAMM 2017.

Long story short, it is a realization of ~25 years of research/development/evolution for "my own instrument"..

www.facebook.com/minabassdesign
    www.minabassdesign.com (under construction)

Okoume body with exotic top (cocobolo here), custom carbon fiber neck, custom Nordstrand electronics, custom Hipshot hardware. Big Blades humcan switchable parallel/series, custom N3b.
    The layout is pretty intuitive:

master Volume, blend, treble, mid, bass
    par/ser sw
    mid freq sw
    mute (on/off) sw

Yes, the idea of the slanted neck pup is to keep the lows tight and focused, at the same time retaining the fatness and sweetness on the top end

emjazz and 4StringTheorist like this.
  2. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks for the info. I know you've done a lot of good work at the Nordstrand shop. Congratulations on your new venture.

maurilio and 4StringTheorist like this.
  3. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

That's awesome to hear Mo! Looks like you'll be doing some fantastic work!

Of course, now that you've revealed that you've got these humcanceling Big Blades in hand, what can you tell us about them in terms of output & tone? Inquiring minds, and all. ;)

maurilio likes this.
  4. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Thank you! very exciting times!

Granted I didn't compare the BBSW vs the BB in the same bass, but the general impression is that the BBSW are a little smoother and less aggressive then the BB. Since they can be wired parallel and/or series, they have the typical dual coil behavior, being louder and thicker in series, but these BBSW even when wired in series they stay very focused and articulate (compared to a DC). This is because of the one single blade sensing/seeing the string vibration. To me this is the first time I use a "dual coil" pickup with parallel/series that I actually like the series mode!
    Sound wise in parallel they are very clear with a crispy high end, a relatively warm low mid and very well defined deep lows, not very strong output. In series they are a little tighter with thicker overall sound, less top end and lows, but again not as extreme as a traditional DC... of course higher output.
    Again, these are prototypes, we will need some more comparison in more traditional/classic built basses

DaveAceofBass likes this.
  5. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Thank you! I will be still working with nordstrand, just have to schedule the time around

6. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm so excited for the sidewinders! Get those comparisons on YouTube! ; )

I have covered blade sidewinders from another maker, two versions. One uses ceramic magnets and the other, neodymium.

The ceramic version is quite low output. Really nice fizzy growl with a lot of natural high-mid content. Though lacking in low mid.
    The Neo, however, had very good output and was particularly authorative in the low mid. The overall tone had a hint of modern flavor to it. Particularly as a bridge pickup.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  7. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    In our Killer B basses, we now use Nordstrand pickups exclusively. On our Ronny Cates signature series bass, it will come with the Nordstrand Big Blades. I also have 2 of my personal basses being built, that will have the Big Blades in them. These pickups are fantastic! I can't wait to get my basses with them.

Carey likes this.
  8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    These sound very interesting to me!

I also notice that the blade/notches would indicate that is a "6-string" pickup on a 5 (I assume P4 shape routs) so the strings aren't necessarily lined up with the notches in the blade between them. I suspected this wouldn't be an issue but this likely confirms it? I ask because I have a Roscoe bass that uses this shape on a 5 string, and wondered if I had to custom order a set of BB (or BBSW) to get them to line up, but it may not be necessary.

Also, for the series parallel switch do you have a 4PDT to do both pickups on one toggle?

9. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

These pickups work for any spacing and number of strings. The notches are there just for the integrity of the plastic shell, so you'd be just fine using the P4 shape on a 5 string.

10. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    what he says!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  11. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    You can always ask for a custom P4 BBSW5.....

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Bronx, NY
    Hey all...sorry it took an extra day. Here's a quick clip of my bass (Ristola 6 string, mahogany chambered body, maple top/back, maple/bubinga neck, ebony fingerboard) with the new set of BigRig pickups. Bass line is just neck pickup with tone all the way up. The soloing is some bridge pickup mixed in with the tone slightly down. Pickups wired in series and passive (no preamp).

"Nordstrand Artist"

Guinness20 likes this.
  13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Bronx, NY
    Aaaaaand....didn't pay attention...wrong thread! I do hope to try the Big Blades at some point!

Guinness20 likes this.
  14. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Sorry missed this, yes it is a 4PDT switch

15. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Thank you! Figured as much and just wondered if you knew of a different trick :)

16. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I picked up an open box neck Big Blade from bestbassgear. It came in the mail today. Holy moly this pickup is heavy! It weighs more than many dual coils I've had!

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Bronx, NY
    Wait until you hear it. :)