1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand Big Blades?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sevdog, Jan 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    OMG, Sidewinders! *drool*

2. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Love the demos I've heard of the Big Blade. Just did a little reading on sidewinder pickups and saw it described as hum canceling with a single coil sound but a different arrangement than the split coil configuration. With so many variables contributing to the signature sound of a pickup I hope the HC Big Blade stays true to the original. A pair of these in the P2 format would be a nice build!

3. 5StringPocket

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Really like the looks of that Kingston Z5 with the Big Blades. What woods are in that? I don't generally solo one pickup or the other but have had trouble in the past with single coils when moving too far off center with the blend. How do these fare?

4. EVerderame

EVerderame

Feb 17, 2016
    i got really interested in a set of those Nordstrands Big Blades for a bass project but at a U$ 650 tag price in Brasil, those are out of reach for me :/

5. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

It's a mahogany body, a burl maple top, a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. The burl maple top is extremely thin: the thinnest top I've ever seen, so in terms of tone and weight, consider the body to simply be made of mahogany.

I haven't had these in a noisy environment yet, but I have the pickup cavities, electronics cavities and battery compartment fully shielded. I haven't noticed any noise issues yet.

EDIT: In terms of single coil hum, I'm given to understand that there's just no way around it. However, I play though a very pristine-tone kinda rig... these are honestly my first single coil bass pickups ever.. and I'm not really hearing the hum yet, even with either pickup soloed. I wired my blend pot ungrounded like this, but without the step of modding the pot itself.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Carey likes this.
  6. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Anybody any idea how these compare to the dual blade neo's?

7. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Are Big Blades the best pickups for metal?
    But seriously, I'm thinking of replacing one of my J pups with a Big Blades.
    If I just got a single BB pup, would it work okay in parallel with a typical J pup? I'm guessing yes.
    I think I would put the BB in the neck position, and keep the J at the bridge. I think it would be pretty good for metal.

8. 4StringTheorist

@Carey This is one for you.

9. 5StringPocket

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    I'm considering a build with a pair of these Big Blades: mahogany body with Claro walnut top, Darkglass preamp. I'm looking for a thick, warm finger style tone with punch and good articulation for rock, blues, and modern country. Trying to decide between wenge, birds-eye maple, or bubinga for the fingerboard. I like a solid low mid body to the note and sweet highs that aren't harsh. Any thoughts on which of these would be more suitable with a mahogany body?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  10. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    I think that's a great thing to try. Will probably be killer.

hondo4life likes this.
  11. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Cool, I'm going to do it. It will be a month or two before I have it all together, but I'll post back about how it works.

12. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    These sound right up your alley. I'd probably recommend the maple fingerboard. In my experience it'll be just a little less zingy in the highs than the others.

Guinness20 likes this.
  13. 5StringPocket

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    That's just what I'm looking for - a little less zing. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  14. 4StringTheorist

A new video demo by Dino Monolexos.

And fun groove by Andy Irvine with the Big Blade equipped Charity Bass (to be auctioned off soon!)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    kittywithabanjo, BrBss, MHT75 and 4 others like this.
  15. detoxxx

detoxxx Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Devon Guitars, Empire Ears, Reunion Blues, Pig Hog Cables
    Thanks for this!!!

16. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I emailed today. The sidewinder humbucking version of the Big Blades are in testing and estimated for final spec around May. Currently, two prototypes are in the wild.

I just put in an order for a Kiesel Vader with P2 shaped pickups. So, May is perfect timing!

4StringTheorist and emjazz like this.
  17. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    :cool:

:smug:

16143799_1751944531790429_7617162371343662264_o.

18. 4StringTheorist

My oh my, Mo!! Niiice!

maurilio likes this.
  19. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hey, thank you!.... more to come....

20. 5StringPocket

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Beautiful bass and I like the reverse slant on that neck pickup. Does it help keep the B-string focused and the G-string fat? Please tell us more about this bass - woods, electronics, switching etc.

maurilio likes this.