1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand Big J-Blade Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Frenchy-Lefty, Sep 26, 2016.

1. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of my Big Blades, the soapbar shape predecessor of the J pickups. Big Blade is to Big J-Blade as Big Single is to J

2. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I found out today that they are working on a hum-canceling version of these also. Gotta get a set of those when available.

3. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups
    These things are off the hook good...

fxtdgl.

4. Mr Guy

Mr Guy

Sep 27, 2010
    Yeah these are epic, have a set in an AVRI 75 JBass. After 30 years of j basses and every pickup out there, I dare say this is the best single coil j pickup going. I have the "clean n clear" version. Snappy but with thick complete mids and no shortage of low end. Very dynamic and responsive to right hand placement, dead even string to string thanks to the radiused blades. Bass still sounds unmistakably Fendery. Finally!!
    Thanks Carey!!

BassBuzzRS, NonDJ, NKBassman and 3 others like this.
  5. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups
    I have a set of each.
    -Warm and Wolly went into a bright sounding ash / maple. This bass has snap still but so-so thick.

-Clean and clear went into a very neutral sounding basswood / phenolic which is really is superbly very Clean-Jazz sounding. It reminds me of a late 60s Jazz bass through a Neve channel strip, over large clear studio monitors...

6. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I don't miss the tone but I do miss the adjustable poles on my old Dimarzio Model Js. These caught my eye because of the radius.

Just how "warm and wooly" is the warm and wooly set? Is it still clear enough?
    Is there a big difference between the two voicings?

7. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I'm not sure how to answer that because it's a matter of opinion to some degree.

We could create a new unit of measurement for warm and wooly called 'Warmlies' so yes I would call the "warm and wooly' is equal to 73.5 warmlies.

It's clear enough to me, but I prefer it a brighter sounding bass.

I will just say there is a difference between the two styles.

JusttheBassics and NKBassman like this.
  8. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I find my Geddy is quite bright, so that should work, thanks.

TonyP- likes this.
  9. Mr Guy

Mr Guy

Sep 27, 2010
    I have only tried clean and clear but find them to be quite warm. 70's position bridge pickup actually has some heft, not quite as much super top end as the original 75 RI pickups. These I find to be more even and useful overall. The warm version must be pretty fat sounding... You could call the Nord dudes too. very helpful.

TonyP- and NKBassman like this.
  10. booch29

booch29

Mar 27, 2013
    israel
    Are the pickups radiused or only the pole pieces? And are they standard fender size?
    Thx.

11. Mr Guy

Mr Guy

Sep 27, 2010
    Standard Fender size, the blade is radiused, the pickups shells are regular shape ( though due to blades, only their covers will work).

12. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Best Bass Gear had a 10% discount coupon code for Black Friday, so I ordered a set of Warm and Woolies for my Geddy Lee jazz bass. They're backordered, but I'm in no particular rush.
    I'll check back when they come in.

4StringTheorist and TonyP- like this.
  13. Jiden63

Jiden63

Aug 18, 2016
    Never can say enough good about best bass gear. Was just on the phone with them, talked pickups etc. I too have a set of warm and woolies on Order!

NKBassman and TonyP- like this.
  14. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Sounds like good applications of these 2 flavors. What is the original Big Blade closer to - warm and wooly or clean and clear?

15. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Did they happen to mention how long they'd be on backorder?

16. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I'm not sure what the original is like.

I'm replacing a set of 70s wind that will go into a darker bass that already had plenty of lower mids. That's with warm and wooly.

The other set went into a new build for me.

17. Jiden63

Jiden63

Aug 18, 2016
    They didn't say a date but I have a warmoth package arriving around mid dec, he said I should have the pickups before then.

18. Jiden63

Jiden63

Aug 18, 2016
    Wondering if you can offer any more comments between the warm and Wooly and the clean &clear? Preferences ? Compared to other nortstrand pickups? Thanks for any thoughts on these.

19. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Slidell, LA