1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand Big J-Blade Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Frenchy-Lefty, Sep 26, 2016.

1. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I believe from a YouTube reply I saw Nordstrand give that the Blades pickups use ceramic magnets.

TonyP- likes this.
  2. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I know the Big Blades do, but do the J Blades do as well?

3. 4StringTheorist

I'd be surprised in extremis if Carey use an entirely different magnetic material between the Big Blades and Big J Blades. If you want to be 100% sure though, drop Nordstrand a line. They've always been great about customer correspondence in my experience.

4. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Just surprised that they would use ceramic for J pups, it's seems like Alnico would be more along the lines of tradition.

5. 4StringTheorist

True. These blade pickups are very much not traditional though. Nordstrand alredy has some great trad. J designs.

DaveAceofBass likes this.
  6. DaveAceofBass

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Absolutely! Looking into a J bass for the near future, probably Marusczyck. Considering these as an option.

J_Bass and 4StringTheorist like this.
  7. sata_fortuna

sata_fortuna

Apr 3, 2009
    hey people. very interested in these for my fretless, as i changed the bridge to adjust string spacing a little narrower. j blade's seems to be the perfect match for what i want as they have continuous sensitivity.
    no way to try a bass with nordy's here, so i'm wondering, for a flat wound stringed fretless jb, warm and woolly or crystal clear? what do you think.
    i'm guessing the warm and woolly have less bright and sounds like that should do on first thought, but flat wound strings are already very dark sounding, hence my concern -not that i need a lot of highs on a fretless anyways though, just enough for it being defined and not just mud-

thanks in advance for your thoughts.

8. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups
    It depends on what you are after.
    I have warm and wooly in a already bright bass so it balances out and more natural lower mids.

Personally on a fretless I would clear especially if you are going to have flats on it.

sata_fortuna and 4StringTheorist like this.
  9. sata_fortuna

sata_fortuna

Apr 3, 2009
    yeah, i'm leaning towards clear all right. no stock on bestbassgear atm though =/
    thanks for your reply.

TonyP- likes this.
  10. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    When I ordered my J Blades BBG told me they were a custom order. I don't think they ever have/keep them in stock.

11. sata_fortuna

sata_fortuna

Apr 3, 2009
    oh, so i have to order to bbg and then they order to nordstrand? may i ask how long did it took for you to get the PUs?
    thanks for your reply man.

12. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    That's my understanding of what happened when I ordered mine. Can't remember how long it took exactly, but it was more than the standard couple weeks. But BBG emailed me right away with a heads up and maintained good communication theoughout.

Best bet would be to email BBG yourself and just ask them.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  13. 4StringTheorist

I've been talking with BBG about an order of a Big Single pickup with the Alnico 3 magnets. They told me today that their Nordstrand lead time is about 4 weeks right now if it's something that's not already in stock or on order.

Best to ask them if they already have some Big J Blades on an incoming stock order. Even if they don't, your wait is only a few weeks. The BBG folks have always treated me well.

DaveAceofBass likes this.
  14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Just recently installed the J Blade clean/clear. I was surprised at the balance and evenness particularly through the upper midrange. The top end is extended yet doesn't seem to exhibit the peaks and valleys you get with a hot Alnico 5 recipe. So you can dial in a vintage 60's era J bass tone or scoop it to get a killer slap tone. It seems like a more blank canvass without sacrificing thick supportive lows. My new fav.

JGR, LiquidMidnight, maurilio and 4 others like this.
  15. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Just ordered one Elwood Fretless with Nordstrand warm and wooly, but will have to wait 12 weeks before giving any opinion.

16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups
    This makes a lot of sense to me in hindsight...

There is a more personality so-to-speak with any Alnico traditional wound single coil pickup as compared to the Nordstrand Blades.
    If anybody wanted an ultra uber even J bass then the J-Blades are the way to go.

17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Agreed Tony. Its true the blades don't have that low mid bump or the lower treble grind it's really a different flavor of good almost reminds me of a "more open" EMG or Bart.

18. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    While I haven't compared the two sets, I find the Warm & Woolies to have plenty of character, especially with the tone rolled back a bit.
    I also just recently installed a Series/Parallel switch in my Jazz, which really takes it up another notch as well.

19. Jo Bass

Jo Bass

Feb 25, 2017
    New pickups have arrived.:hyper:
    Warm and wooly wind.
    Here is a short demo:bassist:

20. KramerK

KramerK

Jan 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Just popped a warm'n wooly set in my experiment bass . . the 03 mim jazz from high school.
    I recorded a few clips for anyone interested in comparing the stock pups to the big j blades

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Jo Bass and NKBassman like this.