1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nordstrand big singles... experiences?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Willem, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    So are there any more real life experiences with the nordstrand big singles? How would they compare to my current EMG 35P and DC pickups? Would they suit fast paced, fingerstyle metal? Will they provide articulation and cut through abilities but still a good body?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'll be able to comment in a few weeks when the Nordy arrives:hyper:

Till then, I'm signed on for the ride!

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    PM sent.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Two of my Sadowsky are equipped with them. I like them alot. They are different from the HC stock Sadowsky pickups. They sound a bit more open, more mids, lots of output!! Loud to say the least. I prefer the HC's for slap and pop. Great pickups, great for fingerstyle. Im getting used to the buzz when I pan but Sadowsky does a great job shielding so in most venues its not an issue.

Rob

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am really curious about Big Singles too. I want to know how how close they are in size to Bartolini MK-1 soapbars.

6. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i'm running a set of Fat Stacks on a modded Peavey Grind BXP NTD sounds KILLER, & the cool part is,, hit the coil tap,,, instant Big Singles.... the are THE BEST pickups period... imo, of course :D

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

My understanding is that the Fat Stacks in single coil mode are still significantly different sounding than the Big Singles (fewer windings in single coil mode or something like that).

8. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I just sold a bass with Fat Stacks. I haven't tried Big Singles, but the Fat Stacks didn't sound all that single coil-ish to me at all when tapped individually. It was definitely closer to a single coil tone, but not all the way there.

9. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    hmmm,, i first called Jay at BlueBerryHill & asked ALOT of questions about the Big Singles,,, but was kinda steared towards the Fat Stacks,,,because with the coil tap he said it was the "exact same tone as the Big Singles".... now I wonder

10. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    i also am curoius how different the fat stacks sound from the big single, because I am buying one of the two soon (currently looking big single) but would opt for versatility if it was the same tone

anyone with experience with both??

PawleeP likes this.
  11. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    By single coil, I'm thinking more like a standard jazz pup, whether it be Barts, EMG, whatever. The Fat Stacks didn't really get that tone to me, although it was somewhat similar.

12. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    quick question,,, do the Big Splits have the same tone as the Big Singles ? ,,,, as i'm also pulling the trigger for a set for a Squier Active Jazz V

13. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    just talked with Stew at Nordstrand,,, going with the Singles ;)

14. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    What did he say?

BTW: thanks for all the responses so far! I hope they'll keep coming!

15. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Stew at Nordstrand mentioned this about a month ago when I called to inquire about this same question, FWIW

16. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    my question to Stew,,,

does the B Splits reproduce the same single coil tone as the B Singles ?

Stews answer,,

Splits will give you 90% of what the Singles offer. the Splits have a less complex midrange & slightly darker character overall, but it's pretty subtle. i don't think anything we make sounds as good as the Singles, but the Splits are very close.

so,,, those two sentences helped me to choose the Big Singles...

17. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    hey kevin_lindsay.... was that bass in that clip passive or active?? them Big Singles sounded SAAAWEEET !!!

18. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I'd like to know too. Also, is that with a pair of them balanced equally? The two main issues I'm pondering, in thinking about getting either B Singles and B Splits, are (1) whether I'd want to run them passive or active, and (2) How much hum you get when panning toward one pup or the other.

19. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Bumperdiebump