1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand Dual Blade Neo's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Awesome Sauce, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Anybody have experience w/ these yet and can comment on the sound? Growly, gritty, bottom heavy, thin, too much sparkle, what-have-you? I want to learn more about these, specifically on a 5 string, but I can only find one vid on the 'Tube. :(

Thanks all!

Rob
    :bassist:

2. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'd like to hear more as well. SUB'D!
    Personally, I'd love to know how they sound compared to the Big Splits, as well as their other "older" pickups (Singles, Duals, Fats, etc).

3. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I suppose somebody had better order a pair of these and test them out. Yep, somebody.

Hmm. Now let's see, who do I know... :smirk:

Seriously though, I've been curious about these for a while. Now seems to be a good time. Are you guys okay with an amateur's review of these pickups in a fretless bass? I know my opinions on pickups tend to be biased by the fretless thing, but if it's useful, I'll do it.

4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Man, if I trust anybody on passive pickup nuances, it's you!

5. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Actually, MY interest in these is for a five string fretless, so a fretless-based review would be awesome!

Rob
    :bassist:

6. tubby.twins

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    Cool, good to know. I placed the order last night, even though Best Bass Gear said they'll be available within 4-5 weeks. I'll post another update when they arrive. :)

7. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I saw a clip of them in a Pavel single cut bass. It may have been here in the classifieds. If not, its on YouTube.

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I just installed a set. I need more time with them to really review them. However, from what I've heard so far, the single coil mode is a bit edgier and hotter than the hum bucking which is smoother in general but a bit thicker. Nice to have two usable options with this design. They are responsive with decent attack. They have a tone that cuts through, and has more detailed midrange than say your Bart P2CB. While it does not have that very high snap the Bart has, it still has an upper midrange presence that cuts nicely. I'll have to try them through a decent system as one was not available after the install. I'll come back tomorrow and add more info. So far, so good!

9. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    I have these on my Clement #311. While I haven't been blown away, I'm hoping it's because I've haven't put a new set of strings on the bass. I still have the original DR strings that came with the bass, and I've had it for a few months. :bag:

To be honest though, I've been thinking about swapping these out, but I haven't decided whether it's worth the trouble to make P2-size wood covers for a pair of Bill Lawrence J45s, or just buy a different set of pickups.

I'm reserving judgment on these until I either change the strings or the pickups to ones that I'm familiar with.

10. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Just FYI : Nordstrand changed the design on these pickups, how recently I don't know. These changes are rather significant in my opinion. The set I just installed are the new design and they are really clear and punchy.

11. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Is there any similarity in tone to the Big Splits? I've had those and they were amazing, IMO. Super punchy awesome Jazz. I've been wanting something like that without having to order custom width spaced pickups.

12. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Not really, the big Splits are brighter with more of a J- Bass vibe (IMHO) these are more even with some lower mid push but more "even" overall than say a single coil basic tone. These in single coil mode can even sound a tad nasally but it reminds me a little of a Ken Smith in that regard. In single coil mode It's a different vibe than a J Bass tone in that the "muscle" of the overall tone seems to sit a little higher. Not as deep and probably for that reason there is ZERO problem not being heard in the mix.

13. pogipoints

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    Good to know. My initial thought was that it's not punchy, so I may have one of the original designs. I guess I need to find out before making a change.

14. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    The new design has shiny Neo magnets on the back of the pickup. Each coil has two side by side magnets. So it appears as of there are four separate magnets. Each magnet bar is the same dimension. The old design looked completely different.

15. pogipoints

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at this when I get around to changing the strings. It'll be a while :oops:

16. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Bump for more impressions...

17. tubby.twins

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    My order arrived. I'll be able to test these out later in the week. When I do, I'll post an update. :)

18. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Just the man for the job :hyper:

19. Sub'd.

20. :bassist: