1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand Dual Blade Neo's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Awesome Sauce, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    I must admit I've been holding off on replacing the stock Bart MK1s in my Ibanezezes until hearing clips & reviews of these. Nordstrand has a fine reputation. I'm interested to know if their tone profile fits my shtyle.

2. I've been meaning to post a reply myself... They are awesome! I have some clips and will provide a link ( the clips really don't do justice compared to hearing them live).

Again, these are outstanding pickups!

3. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    How close are they to a true jazz bass pickup?

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    the blade neo were never meant to be a true jazz bass pickup…. for that you'll have to get a "true" jb pup….. ah… wait….which "true" jb pup are you referring to? there's quite of a selection out there ;):)

5. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Add me to the list of folks that would love to see a Big Split with blades. Generally 18mm is just too wide for me, so having an option that sounds like the Big Split but that can accommodate narrower spacings would be awesome.

6. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    They make the Big Singles with (optionally) an Ibanez SR spacing (16.5 mm). Maybe they can make Big Splits with custom spacing.

7. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    yes it can be done, but because of the split structure it can only be as tight (~17.5mm min.)

8. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    If there's nothing in between you can shove them right up next to a jazz bass pickup. The magnets will even help hold them there if you turn them the right way.

Just kidding.

Sorry.

9. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    subscribed. Sure wish they could cram these into an EMG-HB standard guitar sized soapbar shape, lots of folks out there that would benefit (few options, SCG, Reed James, etc, all with delivery issues)

10. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    The pickups in question are the guitar humbucker sized soapbars (smaller and deeper than 35's) Steinberger put in their basses, first EMG-HBs and lately EMG_HBSC (steel ceramic). The HB's have a top end click that is hard to EQ out, and the SC are warmer without the top end, but, well, still EMGs. Yeah, Curtis Novak makes a darkstar/biosonic pickup, but I'm looking for something else

11. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    What I meant was how similar does the single coil mode get to say, an NJ5?

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Still hoping to hear some feedback and sound clips of these soon.

DaveAceofBass likes this.
  13. Here's two files... recorded directly into Audition, nothing on the bass tracks, but their is some processing on the master to get everything blend better
    1 track using both neck & bridge in single coil mode
    the other track using both pickups in series mode

Forgive the lousy bass playing (in the past year I've hardly picked up my bass other than to experiment with new pickups)

Attached Files:

Geoff_tcf likes this.
  14. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Would the fit into an MTD? If so, would there be enough space in the rear compartment to install a Nordy 3 band pre?

15. You would have to measure out your existing pickups to see if the Nordy's would fit.

16. These samples have processing done on the bass tracks. This gets pretty aggressive :)
    Pedulla Thunderbolt w/Nordy's --> Carvin BX1500 --> Effx Loop (SansAmp RPM | VTRM | RBI) --> PC
    Strings: Ernie Ball Cobalts
    Preamp: Audere with mids boosted

Attached Files:

17. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    Does anyone know if Tubby had better luck with the new pickups Nordstrand sent out???

18. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Ordering a set today for a Lull 5 string. Good to keep this thread rolling.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    emjazz and Carey like this.
  19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Tony, let me know when you get them installed. Would love to meet up and check out those pickups...it'd be great to just catch up anyhow.

TonyP- likes this.
  20. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    A... That would be awesome...
    Will do...You can count on it.
    Cheers

emjazz likes this.