1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nordstrand Dual Blade Neo's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Awesome Sauce, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Thanks, Tony.

The Bongo is really fat on the bottom, even without adding any bass via the EQ knob. I realize there's a whole lot more to it than just the pickups, but I'd like to get some deeper lows into the particular bass with the Duncans and these Nordstrand Neo Blades just might get me there.

2. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    On paper its sounds like these are the pickups for you.

3. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Hey Tony, I'd HIGHLY recommend that you get a split switch figured out for that bass. The Dual Neos are designed to work very well in single coil mode. I attempted to get as close as I could to a 70's J vibe with them. The coils are even wound in an unbalanced manner to help with it. And also to make them sound more organic - I tend to prefer unbalanced coils in a hum canceling setup.

TonyP- likes this.
  4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm afraid I can't help with this one. I've never played a Bongo. Sorry!

5. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass

6. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Those sound MUCH smoother than I would have guessed.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That's something I've always expected from dual ceramic blade pickups but it seems like the neos have that same quality. To me it seems like the initial attack isn't a lot louder than the sustained part of the note which gives them a compressed feel. To me that makes them great for fretless.

The only other video of the Nordstrand Dual Blades that I've seen is this one. A little bit more bite when switched to singles.

8. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    It all depends upon how the pickup is designed. I've got some neo pickups from another brand which have give and dynamic response to playing, much like people expect form good pickups. But they also have the huge bottom and wide range high end that is common in neos.

But mostly, Nordstrand isn't known for smooth pickups. I'm really surprised.

9. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    I've been following this thread, hoping to get some idea of how my new bass will sound once I received it. And now I have.
    I'd like to say how much I really like these pickups! The sound is so powerful! I do have the Series/Parallel/Single switching for each pickup, and there is a very wide variety of tones I can get out of this one bass. I'm very impressed with these, would buy again!

TonyP-, maurilio and Carey like this.
  10. How do these sound in Series? Is there another pickup you could compare them to? Thanks

11. SubNoizeRat3691

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    The pickups, both in series, sounds the fattest of the different configurations. Single coils sounds great, jazz like, but warmer. The parallel configuration is very weak. Not even close to the same output as the pickups switched Single or Series. Its not a usable tone at all.

I'm not sure why the parallel setting is that way, Carrigan said he double and triple checked the wiring, and could not find anything wrong. Perhaps Carey might have a suggestion.?

12. SubNoizeRat3691

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    I don't have anything to really compare the series configuration to. I can't remember any basses I've owned sounding so full. It is strung up with TI Jazz Flats, I'm sure that has an effect on the sound as well.

13. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Sounds to me like there is some kind of issue. These pickups are designed to work in parallel and should have plenty of output in that mode. Also, parallel will be about the same output as single. Maybe the parallel mode is out of phase. Can you contact the shop and maybe send some pics of the wiring so we can hopefully get your insulation sorted out?

maurilio likes this.
  14. SubNoizeRat3691

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    It's very low output, even with just one pickup turned up. I'll try and get some pictures of the control cavity later tonight.

Thanks

15. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I once heard there was a ceramic version in the works. Is that true?

16. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I believe that Cary means the coils of each pickup are out of phase with each other when the pickup is in parallel mode.

17. So, how do these compare to the Nordstrand/Dingwall pickups since they are both an unbalanced dual coil of sorts?

18. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    The Dingwall FD3 pickups we make are actually offset linear hum canceling pickups. The coils are the same size and each covers 2-3 strings depending on how it's arranged and how many magnets are added.
    Quite a different beast than our blades.

19. SubNoizeRat3691

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    How would that be fixed? Swap a pickup lead around On each switch?

20. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    In theory. One coil is white and black and the other is red and green. If you swap the white and black it might do the trick. Or swap the red and green.