not experienced enough?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by z4knerd, Feb 12, 2005.

1. z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    just had my first tryout for a band, and in the end they said they didnt think I was experienced enough. What does this really mean ?
  2. You tell us. If you want them to say something different the best thing you can do is take or continue taking lessons.
  3. Well, don't take it as an insult, but I think it simply means...they want someone with more experience. After all, you said it was your first band tryout. (Look on the bright side, from now on, they won't be your first band tryouts!!)

I can generally tell how much someone has played, the moment they walk in the door. It starts with their attitude, then carries on to how they manage their gear, then continues with how they play. Notice how they play is last, by that point they've already made a first impression.

When experienced players audition, they show up on time, sober, and they are pretty easy to deal with. Sometimes you don't even need to tell them where to set up. They don't have to fuss with their gear, they set up quickly and efficiently, and in a few minutes they're ready to play. They also ask questions about what the band's goals are, where/when/how often to play, what the typical setlists are. They usually have a pretty good repertoire of old standards as well.

Some bands are looking for somebody who can step in and get out playing immediately--gigging cover bands for example. Other bands may be more willing to work with an inexperienced player. Relax, keep looking, jam with your friends every chance you get. Your time will come.
  4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I can tell ya what it means. We have been looking for new members lately and we have had to say that to a few people. Me and the drummer and bothed played for over 20 years now and over 10 together. We get alot of guys out there that you can tell just started or not done it in a gig situation. We have been there and dont want to go back. And its not a age thing either! just try to stick with bands that play more youre style and have been doing it about the same amount of time! Dont take it to heart because we have all been there! Sometimes they forget that. Just keep on jammin man!
  5. It could be a lot of things.

Its a musicians equivalent of "I just wanna be friends"
  6. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    And maybe next time you might want to put on some clothes!
  7. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    How experienced were they? Do they play out regularly and have they for quite a while?

Usually when a band had been playing out and they've all got the experience, and they are looking to replace a member, they want it to go as smooth and fast as possible so as not to lose ground.

Most gigging bands don't want to delay or cancel bookings becuase of not being ready. So, if they are looking for someone to be able to just step right in, learn the material and most importantly...know how to handle situations in a live gig environment, then they'll want someone with experience.

Don't take it as a slam on your playing...there are quite a few musicians that are technically good, but fail attempts at live gigs.

I remember a guy who was a great guitar player. At practices he was very professional and always knew his stuff. We got to the first gig with him and he just froze on stage. I mean he could not play at all!!!

We had to send him home and finish the gig without him. He had no experience playing out live and it almost cost us a gig.
  8. jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    just remember when you walk thru that door, it doesnt matter what you said on teh phone...itsall about your attitude, set up your stuff, play what they TOLD you tto learn ahead of time. ie: dont you guys knowany isley brothers tunes!!!

set ur stuff up fast, but make sure its working before you get tehre, ie, batteries in ur bass are fresh, your patch chords work your amp works, your cabinet works....make sure you can be loud enough for the not a small combo amp. but not a huge stage setup either! be in tune! buy a tuner, if you cant tune on the fly.... bring extra strings...(always have a few sets of these if you dont ahve a 2nd bass) sure theres more but im all out
  9. I remember hearing that 'experience' is another word for mistakes- maybe you didn't make enough mistakes.

*crickets chirping*

Seriously, read everything above, ignore me & keep playing.
  10. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

Experience is another word for handling mistakes, so they don't stand out and look like mistakes.
  11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Tell ya what is amazing is when youre playing a show and you really hose somthing up and nobody notices! Well except for the strange look like this :eyebrow: that the drummer gives ya. I have messed up a couple times and it sounds like a rhino farted in the mic but nobody cared because i didnt make a scene and i knew how to pull my self out of it! Thats a big thing is to learn how to keep a straight face when you hose up! Dont make that i just crapped my pants look! Or the bitter beer face!
  12. That changes EVERYthing- my mistake, um, I mean experience- I mean, uh... how am I handling this?
  13. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I changed it for ya. That's experience! :D
  14. stropsrats

stropsrats Owner:

Feb 14, 2005
    Valders, Wisconsin
    You should have told them - "What does my sexual behavior have to do with my musical ability?" (joking half anyway) A similar taste in what music you like is often times at least as important at an audition. The fact is the more experience you get the less you need it because you learn more tools, get educated, get practical and more physical and economical and innovative.

If they have so much experience ask them if they have a problem communicating or why don't they just pass it down?
    If not, what is it worth anyway? Nobody ever got paid that I hear of for supplying "experience."
  15. MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    And it remains fun to get comments about that wicked solo thingy you did when all you did was screw up.... bad.... :p
  16. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    No, but I'll bet those that got paid got the gig in the first place partly because of experience.

Given a choice between two musicians who are equals in every aspect except one has never played out live onstage and the other one has...I would pick the experienced musician.

Why? Because even though both might have the talent and the chops, there is simply no telling how a musician with no experience might react to the variety of things one encounters playing out live.

That's not a slam to musicians with no experience, everyone has to start somewhere. And there is no telling really just how good an inexperienced musician could handle things...maybe they can, maybe they can't. But if you've got a gigging band and you need to keep rolling along without missing a step, experienced musicians usually get the call. With experience comes the ability to adapt to situations as they come up. The more experience one has, the more likely that person has probably dealt with those types of things already.

Ask anyone one us here on talkbass (who have been playing a long time) what kinds of weird, outlandish things we've encountered during our career and how we handled them, and I'll bet there are a lot of similarities.

Someone with no experience might have a clue, but your taking a greater risk. That doesn't mean they won't handle it, but it sure does help knowing that the "new guy" in the band has already dealt with broken strings, blown amps and speakers, no monitors, unexpected key changes, angry customers, flirtatious dancers with monster boyfriends, impromptu song requests, PA stacks falling over, broken straps, mild (or not so mild) electrocution, power outages, lights out, tripping and falling, cords pulling out, batteries dying, forgetting parts of songs, losing the groove, overextended guitar solos, forgotten lyrics, missing set lists, lost roll of duct tape, too much to drink, not enough to drink, fans buying shots, flashers, strippers, poor bartenders, even worse bar owners, broken down vehicles, injuries, sickness, missing or late band members, hoarse voices, starting in the wrong key, ending on the wrong note, forgetting to turn on your amp, being badly out of tune, broken stages, inadequate electrical service, bad hair days, and pissed off spouses.

I could go on but I think you get the point by now.
  17. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Had a drunk woman in her 50 with a ripped up dokken t-shirt grab me by the wee wee and pull me off a 4 ft stage one time! Not sure if that made me mad or the fact that i looked back at my drummer for help and he was laughing so hard he fell off his stool. But yes the show had to go on. But in that situation the the other guys except for the butt head drummer went on jamming till we got things straight! Thank god the fat lady stopped my bass from getting hurt. Had a horn player fall through the stage from rotting floor. It was a nice club too. Had a speaker cab stop working unless it had a girl setting on top of it! Everyone told me that i was full of crap and that i just wanted a girl sitting on my amp. (was kinda cool) been shocked, drunkenly stuped, frozen solid, puked on my feet ( and that is great advice to you new guys if its a stage near the audience stand back and scan for that drunk puke look! Actully its just plain not safe to get near the crowd! Almost pooped my pants on stage one time. :eek: And one of the worst is when the drummer breaks a kick drum head. Just noo way around the fact that that sucks!
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What's it worth? Go play some gigs with well seasoned professional musicians some time and you'll find out!!!

It's really hard to pass down experience.

How do I pass down my ability to play in a wide range of musical styles?

How do I pass down my ability to recall songs that I haven't played for years or I just heard on a hissy tape the night before?

How do I pass down my ability to improvise a bass line from someone yelling the chords out to me on stage?

How do I pass down my ability to sing and play when the onstage sound is so bad I can't even hear myself?

These are all things that I get paid for.