1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Not loud enough

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass_man91, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Bass_man91

Bass_man91

Jul 30, 2008
    Hey everybody, I have a Stagg BC300 and It just isn't loud enough for me. So my question is... Do I need to upgrade the pickups or the pots to get it louder? I know my amp isn't the problem because when I plug my other bass in it's loud as hell.

Thanks,

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Changing the pots won't do anything about loudness. Is this bass passive, and the other bass active?

3. Bass_man91

Bass_man91

Jul 30, 2008
    both basses are passive

4. My guess would be that you have some type of problems w/the pups or the wiring in general.

5. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    How far are the pickups from the strings, compared to the bass that's 'loud as hell'?

6. Bass_man91

Bass_man91

Jul 30, 2008
    I just checked, The pickups are a 1/4" from the strings on both basses

EDIT: if it helps my other bass is a Peavey Milestone 2

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Invariably, different basses have different output voltages. My dual Darkstar G4 is noticeably hotter than my DiMarzio Model J equipped Jazz. That's what the gain and master knobs on your amp are for.

8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Some pickups are just hotter than others. You can try raising the pickups on the Cort a little bit, or you can just adjust the volume on the amp to compensate for the differences between the two basses.

Mike

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    First step: adjust pickup height.

Second step: have a tech go over all the wiring and give it a clean bill of health (a bad connection can equal reduced levels sometimes).

Third step: get some hotter-output pickups

or

Get a booster pedal (lots of options, search on "clean boost" in the fx forum and on pedal websites like pedalgeek).

10. Bass_man91

Bass_man91

Jul 30, 2008
    OK, Thanks :bassist:

11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Try moving them closer. Press the strings down at the last fret and get the pickup about 1/16" under the treble strings, and 1/8" under the bass. See if that helps. If the strings hit the pickups when you play, lower them slightly.

But one of things they skimp on with a $200 bass is the pickups, so new pickups would probably work wonders.

Also how old are the strings?

12. awelti

awelti

Oct 21, 2008