1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not quite like riding a bike --

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by SuperKGang, Mar 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SuperKGang

SuperKGang

Feb 19, 2018
    I'm 47 years old. Was a self-taught hack in college and played in a few garage bands. But life happened and I stopped playing. It's been at least 15 years since I touched a bass. Then, my poopiehead nephew borrowed my bass and never returned it. I guess I'm having a mid-life crisis because I want to play everyday now. Even bought myself a beautiful new bass. But it ain't like riding a bike -- especially since I wasn't all that good of a player when I did play. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for exercises to build back strength, accuracy, and speed? Also any recommendations for on-line lessons? If I'm gonna relearn to play, I want to play right this time. Thanks.

2. Knee to knee lessons will get you started on the right foot. A local teacher which can give you instant feed back is recommended, however, there are a few things you can do on your own before you get with a teacher, if you remember how to hold the beast, how to tune it and things like that.

This link will be time well spent. How to get started?
    Learn where the notes are on the fret board. Right now just
    first position - the first five frets will have any note you will
    ever need. We can go up the neck later.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqpUCD2yrn_vzOSwJcZJssXJwl3HEmGcqs_kAE-RwrqoHqWUMEiw.

Learn some scales patterns and run them up and down your bass neck a zillion times.

Major scale box showing scale degree numbers
    and the root note on the 4th string.
    ........Index...Middle..Ring...Little
    G~~|---2---|-------|---3---|---4---| 1st string
    D~~|---6---|-------|---7---|---8---|
    A~~|---3---|---4---|-------|---5---|
    E~~|-------|---R---|-------|---2---|4th string
    Want to run the C major scale? Find a C on the
    E string and put the box's R over that C, then play
    the spelling for a major scale. It is R-2-3-4-5-6-7-8.
    Want the F major scale? Yep find an F on the E string,
    how about first fret and yes the 3 and 6 will be open string notes.
    The spelling for a F major scale is the same as the spelling
    for a C major scale. That is really neat. Place the root and
    play the spelling for what you want and the correct
    sharps and flats fall automatically under your fingers.
    The get started link will go into more detail. Help yourself.

That will get your fingers moving and knowing where the notes are located is kinda important. After that you are ready for some knee to knee lessons.

How about Internet lessons -- I'm going to recommend About Mark - TalkingBass for a start over beginner.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Goatrope and fearceol like this.
  3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    I...like yourself.. also returned to playing the bass later in life (later than yourself...;)). I agree with all that Malcolm has to say above, especially about getting a good teacher. This will get you off to a good start. Even a half a dozen lessons to start, then maybe come back at a later time for more.

Strength, accuracy, and speed will all come by simply playing regularly. Play along to songs you like and work out the bass lines without using tab. A half an hour to forty five minutes at a time is plenty for now. Take regular breaks and come back to it.

Here is a Youtube link with a set of lessons that start very basic...(this is the headstock...etc...) and build from there. Start where you think is appropriate and work your way through.

Best of luck with it. :)

MusicCollegeTV

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Get a good live teacher to help get you going correctly. They are invaluable.
    Do the online courses once you're up to speed a bit.

5. WTDhimself

WTDhimself

Mar 8, 2018
    Just joined, and the first thread I see describes my situation almost exactly. Only difference, I played an upright acoustic bass and earned a living from it for a couple of years, mainly cocktail lounge/country club dances/small jazz ensembles. I was self-taught and not that good, but I knew how to make it swing.
    But I haven't touched the instrument since 1967 (!) and now that I'm approaching my dotage I want to pick it up again. Problem is I'm worse than a newbie: I think I know stuff (or knew stuff) that I either never knew or is now hopelessly out of date.
    So here's what I'm considering. I think I want an electric upright, and I've looked at most of the instruments on offer. Any comments? I'd like something I can plug headphones into so I can avoid divorce while I practice, and I'd like to get the whole rig, including amp, for under $2k.
    Oh yeah, an amp. Know nothing about them, what should I be looking at? Coffee house size, I guess. Also a tuner: What is that? I always tuned it by ear. (See what I mean). And a metronome.
    My plan is to relearn the fingering, then get a teacher to help me get it right, and learn upper register fingering I never knew. Then get some play-along charts/programs and practice, baby, practice.
    Anybody got ideas to help a brother out? I'm in Victoria BC, if that makes any difference.

VictorW126 likes this.
  6. WTDhimself

WTDhimself

Mar 8, 2018
    Just noticed I was in the wrong forum. Newbie mistake. can the mods put it in the right place or should I re-post?

7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Click on the "Report" icon, and ask the mods to transfer it over to the double bass forum.

8. WTDhimself

WTDhimself

Mar 8, 2018
    Thnx for the tip. Reported the post.

9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I've seen a number of these stagg electric uprights and they are surprisingly nice for a cheaper option.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Stagg/E...325771460-sku^1500000034438@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

10. WTDhimself

WTDhimself

Mar 8, 2018
    Thnx for the response. What do you use as an amp with these? I've read that a lot of moifications are required to get a decent sound. Is that correct?

11. If you don't like to make modifications to a Stagg (and consider the RDL model with the rosewood fingerboard), you might want to consider to get the cheap model from the Italian MK EUBs. More expensive, but not too much and much better and no mods needed.

12. WTDhimself

WTDhimself

Mar 8, 2018
    Thnx DoubleMidi. I've seen lots of your posts and I know you are knowledgeable about this stuff.

I have lusted after the MKs but thought they are out of my price range, especially for an old guy just dipping his toe in the water. Prices I've seen are around $3400 plus an amp, which would sow discord in an otherwise happy household. On the other hand, this would certainly be the last bass I buy.

Also looked at the BSX Allegro. There's a video on one of the threads of a player getting wonderful sounds from it. Any preference between them? Is it worthwhile making the extensive mods that seem to be necessary for the Palantino?

13. As far as I know it is less than half of what you might have seen.
    Drop these guys a mail and ask.
    They make different models and the top model might not be very far from the price you have seen (but I think it is at least a third cheaper), but the entry level one should be around twice the Stagg RDL model.

14. WTDhimself

WTDhimself

Mar 8, 2018
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've written for prices/options and I'll post whatever they come back with. There is one model listed on e-bay new at $1840 US plus about $200 shipping. I have also seen a few ads here for the BSX Allegro Upright Electric Bass used ranging from $1000 - $1700 plus shipping. About $2500 new. The BSX seems to have a fabulous sound, due at least in part to the skill of the musician I suppose. Do you have any comment re MK Jazz vs BSX Allegro in terms of quality, sound, etc. Any advantage to the solid constructions vs. semi-acoustic?

Thanks for your help with this. Very valuable for a newbie like me.

15. No, I never played a BSX (never seen one in Europe where I'm located), but Talkbass member Rick Wolff has one and he is very happy with it.
    That might be an option for you as well if you can get a used one cheap. But new they are rather expensive...

16. WTDhimself

WTDhimself

Mar 8, 2018
    Mirko from MK got back to me with a price list. The lower-priced models (Studio and Jazz) will end up about 2300-2500 Euros by the time they are properly fitted out and shipped. The new BSX Allegro is about $3000 US AFAIK, so there isn't much to choose for price.

Mirko also gave me contact info for a customer in Toronto who owns an MK Jazz. I'm going to be there at the beginning of May, so I'll see if I can try his out.

MK seems very accommodating.

17. That's a lot more than I had in mind.
    Have a look for videos of member rickwolff in the DB mics/pickups/amps section playing a BSX Allegro.
    I think he played it with his hybrid "Genzlihur" amp/cab.

18. WTDhimself

WTDhimself

Mar 8, 2018
    Yes, I saw that video and a couple of others. That's what got me started on this thing in the first place. What a sound