1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Now why would they do that?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Tony F, Nov 5, 2006.

1. robboy

robboy

Jul 13, 2006
    Boca raton Florida
    I have to agree. $5,000 for a bass that's had some very questionable modifications? Did my eyes deceive me or is the end of the neck scooped out and the fingerboard attached to the top? If this was originally a Chubby Jackson I guess it would have value if it hadn't been messed with.

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Well they did say "fast action" didn't they? *smirk*
    They probably did it so the strings wouldn't buzz so much against the FB because the string heights are so low. So much for Thumb position on that bass. Only slappers will be interested in it now. You have to admit, they did a nice job with the EB pickup mount, but too bad they ruined the FB in the process.

3. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    It looks like the owner has been playing with super-low bass guitar-like string height, so the scooping allows fingertips to actually grab the string for pizz.

Steve Swan

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    That is just offensive.

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Current offer of 5k, and he'd like more. Jerk!

6. I'm actually fairly open-minded w/regard to musical instruments(I have a fretless 7-string slab as well as DB)but that's just wrong. :spit:

7. Maybe whomever buys it will finish the job by having frets installed *sigh*

8. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    That FB looks to have no radius at all. Yech!

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    :scowl:

10. Well, as a further update, it looks like the auction ended early - The "official" result was "The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the minimum bid or reserve amount" - but with an opening bid of just one dollar and ZERO bids I think he must have guessed he was onto a loser...

I don't know why, but for some perverse reason that makes me happy. Clearly I need to get out more!

Cheers,

Tony

11. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The seller actually canceled a few bids - the max was $1250 according to the bid history.

12. I don't know what that bass is, but it is not like any Chubby Jackson (S-51) model I've ever seen. Other than the 5 string machines, it looks like a very ordinary M1 that has been stripped and sprayed with clear lacquer. If you look carefully, you can see remants of the original dark finish, the lack of purfling stripes, and absence of "Kay" on the back of the scroll. That's also the first Kay 5 stringer I've seen that did not have the ebony horseshoe on the back. The veneer on the top is not the quality I would expect to see on a top of the line Kay. Is there really someone in this world stupid enough to offer $5,000 for that bass? :rollno:

13. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Oh God . . .

14. I don't think his case was strengthened by the line "The photos will show the few areas where wood filler has been aplied to correct chips in the top and back at binding areas". Full marks for being up-front and honest about it, but this was never a $5000 bass.

*sigh* gotta let it go now

Cheers,

Tony

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021