1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD: Morley Maverick Mini

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by isher1992, Dec 6, 2018.

1. I haven't owned a wah pedal in years. On a whim, I bought a Morley Maverick Mini for the size alone. Listened to a few guitar demos, reminds me of something between a Vox and a CryBaby.

It seems like it comes from the Bad Horsie lineage, I like it better than the Dual Bass Wah and the old Pro Series II Bass Wah I once had.

...But I can't leave it alone. I asked Morley if it was possible to mod the frequency range, and looks C9 is the place to do it. I'll change it to a higher value and see how it works!

2. Changed C1 from 0.01 to a 0.1 uF to let more bass through. C9 affects the sweep, but unlike a CryBaby GCB-100, a 0.068uF cap is way too dark. I settled with a 0.022uF. If the stock 0.01uF is too bright for most people, but this is too dark, a 0.015uF might serve well.

3. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Very nice! I've been looking at these as well. I had contacted morely about a mini dual bass wah, and they said one is in the works, but this sounds great!

4. I was torn between a GCB-95 and modifying it (I've had 7 at this point) and thought I'd give the Morley a try because the few demo videos I watched really gave off a CryBaby vibe.

5. Did some extra tweaking. Big thanks to Scott Flesher at Morley for pointing me in the right direction.

Looks like the best thing to do is treat C9 like a coarse frequency adjustment, and the LDT as a fine adjustment. Use the C9 cap to get in the ballpark, and adjust the LDT and LED to get it perfect.

Also, changing C5 to a bigger value seems to make the wah a bit bassier. I used a 0.1uF. Once I did that, the volume seemed to drop a touch when engaged. Change R12 to a 47K and it's better.