Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NS Bass Cello

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Big Bass Daddy, Aug 10, 2005.

1. So I was a bit intrigued by the announcement of the new Bass Cello (really digging what Tony Levin has done with the NS Cello) but after reading up on it, I am somewhat confused. It sounds to me like you could get the same range simply by using the the 5 - string NS Bass strung up (vs the low B).

Can someone shed some light on this? Thx! 8>)

2. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    It has a 34" scale, it can be tuned in fifths or fourths (or whatever...). Basically, it´s a 1/4 scale EUB.

Short scale EUBs have been around for quite some time. The Zeta Cross-Over appeared like ten years ago, Eric Jensen offers the 28" scale Cello-Bass, etc.

3. They say it can be strung with any long scale bass string - I was originally thinking it would be rather fun to string it with piccolo strings. My concern is that they probably wouldn't bow sell at all...