1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NS EUB's: Anyone use the endpin stand?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by johnny_bolt, May 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. johnny_bolt

johnny_bolt Gold Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Las Vegas
    I'd really like an EUB that moves and looks like a DB. E.g., the Yahama Silent Bass nails this. But it's fairly spendy. Some NS EUB's seem to accept an endpin, but it looks very awkward.

Any experiences here? I like to really move around with the bass when I play, and can't imagine being locked in to a static tripod.

2. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

I bought an NS with the exact same reservation. I sold it with a month. If you've ever played upright- you will hate the tripod, the strap, or even the endpin which is poorly designed. I tried and hated all of them.

What you seek is an EUB that is designed to feel and sound as much like a DB as possible. I believe you will find that here. Also, most if not all Azola basses will do a great job of replacing a full sized double bass within reason. And will do it better than any other EUB (and I do like the Yamaha). If you can find an Azola that you like- you will not regret it. They are well designed and are meant feel like a real DB - not a new invention or something modern like the NS.

IME.

Hope that helps!

johnny_bolt likes this.
  3. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    IMG_1084.JPG the MK line of EUBs are not as spendy as the Yamaha but quite close to the feel of a DB

johnny_bolt likes this.
  4. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    After playing an Azola Bug extensively over the last 17 years, and having spent some time with the NS endpin stand on an NXT model. I'd disagree with member Speyer's comment above. The Azola is very nice, super solid and well crafted..but the the NS endpin is infinitely more adjustable by comparison. You've got to experiment with it a little, but I found it to be 100% more acoustic bass feeling than the Azola. And I've been playing acoustic bass for close to 50 years now ..LOL...Speyer did manage to pitch the Azola he had owned for only a month in the classifieds though. Bravo! Whatever works. But yeah, the NS Endpin Stand eclipses the Azola system, hands down imo. :) You can really get fully behind the bass withe NS, rather than standing next to it which is what the Azola offers. In all fairness, Steve Azola had very little upright bass experience when he designed his basses..he nearly copied the Ampeg Baby bass system. NS spent a lot more time in Research and Development and it really shows..not hard to imagine that he consulted with a some legit players with a lot of upright bass experience.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Mark Gollihur and Randy Ward like this.
  5. bodollar

bodollar Supporting Member

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    At first I didn't think the endpin stand would work, it took me some time experimenting with it to get it set up where it felt comfortable and more natural.

Randy Ward likes this.
  6. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    I agree, it took a little experimenting. There are a lot of possibilities for adjustment. The stock promo photo was the least comfortable one for me. Once I dialed in the adjustments, shifted the bout higher up on my body, i was able to be hands free of the bass, and the would only move in the direction of my body shift..very much like an acoustic bass. Since the NS weighs significantly less than a true upright, being hands free was even easier than it is on upright. The only downsides of the NS endpin stand is obviously the visual, and then the various other pieces of hardware you need to be able to put it in a stage stand withe endpin. And the latter downside is that it depends on the model you own. NS really should standardize the hardware. That surprises me. The NXT stand is pretty useless to me..it is so wobbly. That might not bother others.

7. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    I hated the tripod. The endpin stand was workable, but not durable and comfortable enough for me. I made my own endpin stand that's a lot closer to the balance and feel of a db, also with a fullsize neckheel to lean on during breaks :)

Randy Ward likes this.
  8. bodollar

bodollar Supporting Member

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Once you get the end pin stand adjusted where you like it, make sure you mark the stand or make notes about the setup, once you break it down you don't want to spend 30 minutes trying to find that setting again.

Randy Ward and MR PC like this.
  9. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

All fair comments above... I have only played upright for a decade or so. Anyhow, I sold the NS after a month NOT the Azola. I always loved my bug bass and... I did eventually let go of my Azola but it was only to help fund the purchase of a new home! That said, Its not a total loss due to the fact that I purchased all Steve Azola's leftover tops, bodies, fingerboards, patterns and jigs to build all versions of the Bugbass and Scarab! I am a huge Azola fan (obviously) and I feel he did MUCH more that bring back the Ampeg baby bass and expand from there (as you say). My next Azola bass will be built by me... Thanks to Steve and all he did for the world of EUB's! :thumbsup:

10. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    Man, it worked out beautifully for you in the end. Dissing the NS bass and it was the perfect shoe in to advertise your bass for sale. I think the NS deserves more credit. For that reason, I was compelled to move this thread forward, because it was hanging in space as a negative on a really great instrument design. Azola used a small and growing customer base to do their research and development, the same way that Clevenger and other small EUB companies did in order to grow and survive. NS marketed a completed product, not a series works in progress. Unfortunately, by the time Azola had got it all together design wise to really compete in the marketplace, they went belly up.

Randy Ward likes this.
  11. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Think what you will... my original post was simply an honest opinion on Azola and NS bass EBS pin stands. I've used both on both bases... I didn't like the NS stand or the bass I had. Also note, it was an NXT model which didn't hold a candle to the Azola tone wise or ergonomically IMHO. And frankly, I've always wanted to try a Czech NS bass with mag pups but sadly never had the opportunity.

But, Saying I made my post to plug the sale of my Azola is ridiculous. It's a well made hard to find bass that sold within few days (expectedly). So much for trying to share my own experiences with the best data reference I could find! Oops.

Anyhow, I agree NS makes good instruments as did Azola but I disagree your reasoning for Azola going 'belly up'.
    That is a discussion for another time and place so I'll leave it at that.

I hope the OP has the opportunity to try a bunch of different basses with various end pin setups that work for him! For me... between NS and Azola (dissing aside) I was far more comfortable on the Azola.

12. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    Well, Azola as a company went belly up, out of business, kaput. Couldn't keep up with a regular production schedule as demand increased. If it had been more than a ma and pa operation, maybe they could have survived. As it was at the end they were simultaneously discontinuing models and introducing new models on a regular basis. I guess none of the owners were interested in continuing the company when the time for splitting the blanket came to be. Had just one completely functional, great sounding, and well thought out design been executed from day one, there might of been a stronger market demand for the familiar that could of interested outside investment and kept the ball rolling.

It would be interesting to hear what the OP needed up doing. I acquired a CR4 (non magnetic) recently, I am seriously considering modifying my Azola Bug to accommodate the NS endpin stand, since they are readily available for public consumption, and it's an extremely simple (read universal) mounting design.

When I built my first EUB in the '80's, the biggest problem was the ergonomics, how to make that contraption be comfortable to play. Had the NS endpin stand been available at that time, it could of been game over for me in the quest for an EUB. The closest thing at the time was the Clevenger set up which was pretty nice and quite impossible for me to copy.