Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Nuclear"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Oct 31, 2004.

1. True or false: Under no circumstances is the word "nuclear" correctly pronounced "nuke-yuh-lar".

(I've got some friends who insist that it's a regional thing.)

2. true.

(edit: thought the question was "can the word be pronouced like this?" must read fully before answering...)

3. true

4. Yeah, I've heard other people say it that way, who are under no influence of George Dubya.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Pronouncing it 'nuke-yu-ler' is a bad idear.

6. Lol, indeed. Why is it even pronounced that way be some people? I mean, come on, "Nuclear". "Noo-Cleeer". Pronounced just the way it looks. Almost.

7. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    My chemistry professor is threatening to take a mark off the next paper of anybody who pronounces it nuke-you-ler.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's pretty common really.

brad cook

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's not nearly as annoying to me as when people add an 's' to business names that don't have it:

"Wal-Marts"
    "Barnes and Nobles
    "El Chicos"

:rolleyes:

brad cook

10. Its like calling Missouri, Missery and Missoura. Along with pronouncing the S in Illionis.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Or the way yankees pronounce the 'A' in Colorado and Nevada.

brad cook

12. You just described my whole family haha. They're all southerners. I've heard that stuff as long as I've been around.

13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    It is a mark of high breeding. If you go to Harvard and Yale you will be graced with esoteric knowledge of arcane language. With that simple word, you too could be president some day.

14. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've always thought people were making it possesive or plural.

Like when I tell my father I'm going to my friend Andy's house.

In the same way I also say, "I'm going to Barnes and Noble's."

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's still incorrect because it's not called Barnes and Noble's Bookstore...it's called Barnes and Noble or Barnes and Noble Booksellers or something. It might semi-work for Barnes and Noble since those are names but to say "I'm going to Wal-Mart's" ?! There's not a guy named Wal-Mart who has a store.

I understand that some people might be attempting to make it possessive but it still makes no sense and making it plural doesn't really make sense unless you're talking about more than one...which wouldn't be annoying if that were the case.

brad cook

16. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Of course, since I grew up in Des Plaines, Illinois, I know what is really bizarre is that both of the letters "s" in Des Plaines are heard even though the "s" in Illinois is not.

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i remember a pamphlet put out by the power company called "new clear days" promoting nuclear power plants.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, we here in Connecticut know how wonderful and safe the Millstone nuke plant was :rolleyes:

19. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

"Des Plaines, Des Plaines". :D

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you don't like "Nuc-ular" you should hear the English pronounce "Aluminum". :eek: