1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nut mistake

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jumbodbassman, Jul 24, 2012.

1. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    Just installed a realy nice oversized bone nut on a bass and decided i don't like the A string spot. Is there a good way to fill in and refile the nut . I really dont want to remove it as it was sort of a pain to get it just right . FWIW not a slot nut , end of fretboard over slightly angled buckeye burl headstock. Epoxy, superglue or ???

2. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I think the proper approach is the one you don't want -- shim, then reslot.

I don't know if this can hold up to a bass string, and don't know if it will work well with bone, but one approach is to saturate baking soda with thin CA glue (superglue). It's trick to do neatly in a slot, but when the baking soda gets saturated, it hardens like plastic. It works well for guitar strings -- but I've never tried it for a bass nut.

Good luck!
    ltt

3. I assume you want to move it to one side slightly. I would file the nut slot to accommodate the string in it's new position and then, If you saved any of the dust from filing the bone nut, mix it with CA glue and fill in the gap (with the string removed) and file the side of the slot smoothly. Since the string pressure will be on the bottom of the nut (where there is not CA fill.) It should hold up well. If you don't have bone dust, substitute baking soda. Ideally, the nut should be completely removed and held in a small vise.

Rocky

4. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    thanks guys.