1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NVBD - 64 L Series P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaperbackRyder, Jul 14, 2014.

1. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    Yessir, she is one sweet ride!
    Finally got my dream ax. Shopped a couple of dozen examples, from 63-68, even tried some 72-73's, but a guy I know showed me this one...
    Always GAS'd for a 64 L series. No tangible reason why that year, and L Series means nothing AFAIK.
    This baby has all the pre-CBS features; clay dots, thin rosewood veneer FB, shrinking (unbroken) pickguard, and a sweet, rich creamy tone with just a hint of natural compression...or a nice punch. I couldn't put it down this weekend...
    Critical to me was neck width. This one is 1 22/32nds of an inch, and doesn't feel too wide. Others at 1-23/32's felt a little bit big, and at spec 1 3/4" just cannot seem to get comfortable with.
    Sunburst with nice player wear. Back of the neck is sublime. Worn thru finish. Seems like below the 5th fret has a soft V shape and above the 5th fret seems more flat, but that might just be the finish wear. In any case it feels perfect in my hands.
    Been changing string and strap heights and got her dialed in. Cant wait to take get her out on a gig, but i don't anything booked until next weekend...

Attached Files:

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    That bass is about seven different kinds of awesome. I'm jealous.

3. You look pretty darned happy; deservedly so.

josiah goldfish likes this.
  4. Ha, I had that feeling 30 years ago when I got mine, I still remember it! Good on you, congrats.

5. geddy402

geddy402

Jul 20, 2012
    Very nice! Congrats!

6. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Awesome my friend! She's beautiful! Really nice Burst! Next time you make it down you need to bring that with you!

7. Looks great! Congrats!

8. geddy402

geddy402

Jul 20, 2012
    Looks like a nice and dark board too.

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "L" series?

10. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    L series refers to the Serial number, the serial number starts with the letter "L". They are typically the last instruments made when Leo still owned Fender.

fourstringdrums likes this.
  11. PaperbackRyder

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    ^^^What he said. I dont know why Fender stuck an "L" on the front of the s/n. It would be cool if the L stands for "Last or Leo" or something like that. There is a relatively small group of guitars with it, which make it more rare or desirable. There has always been overlap from year to year w.r.t. the numbering schemes, but I believe the majority of "L" designation were in '64. Someone else please chime in a correct me if I'm wrong.

12. nagarjuna

nagarjuna

Dec 10, 2006
    The Gunks, NY
    L64' PBass............ does it get any better? Enjoy! : )

13. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    L serial numbers start as early as '63 and I've seen them as late as '66.

/rick

14. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    What he said^....Absolutely one of my favorite years, color and model. To me, it does not get any better.
    Thanks for sharing that and let us know how it 'gigs'.

jbybj likes this.
  15. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    Congrats! Still looking for my precbs dream....:(

I think the most common explanation is just that it was an error in that the L should have been a 1. Not wanting to go to waste, they just used them until they got rid of them.

16. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Beautiful bass, it will serve you well!! have one of the last L series Jazz Basses, neck date May 65, it was and is my "gold standard" for 4 string basses!! I won't and you shouldn't ever sell it. It has as much output as most active basses I've played! Something about those L s' Jim

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Story I've seen is that when the plates were ordered from their outside source the serial number range requested was supposed to start with the number 1. On the typewriters of the day the lower case letter "l" was used for the number 1 since they looked the same in the font used for the typewriter and there was no key for the number 1. The person typing up the order made a typo and hit the shift key which shifted the lower case "l" to the upper case "L" and a mystery was born.

18. PaperbackRyder

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    I can believe that!

19. DavidBassista

DavidBassista

May 21, 2014
    NYC
    Wonderful bass, congrats man. I have an L series from May 1963 getting Re- Refinned. I'm having withdraw from playing it but should be getting it back soon. If you're interested, here is my thread on it: http://www.talkbass.com/threads/fixing-up-1963-precision-bass.1079115/

Regarding the "L" in the serial number, if that story about the type writer is true, that's hilarious. And somewhat serendipitous considering the founder was Leo. I have my grandmothers 1947 Smith-Corona that doesn't have a "1" key.

20. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    I have a '65 L Jazz