Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NYC Teachers

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by EFischer1, Feb 16, 2005.

1. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Hey, I've been studying in Manhattan for quite a while and am looking to take a bunch of lessons with new teachers. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get in touch with other teachers in the area (i.e. Don Palma, David Grossman, William Blossom, etc). If so, feel free to email me at fisem4@wfu.edu. I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

2. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
  3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I have heard great things about Joe Solomon - Ed Fuqua could hook you up if you ask him nicely :D

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Joe studied legit technique with Julius Levine and some woman whose last name is Roteburg or something like that, so he has a nice approach. Don Palma was teaching through Columbia, that might be a good place to start. Or call Gage.

5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Eugene Levinson too, but I think you'd have to go through Juilliard.

You'd be surprised how many great players you could find just by using the phone book! NYC has SO many great players, of course - tell us how it works out!

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Gene Levinson is doing a clinic at Gage's, check the website and you can go talk to him in person.

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Don Palma teaches at New England Conservatory. Maybe he splits his time but you can reach him there for sure. FWIW, I've heard great things about him.

Good luck.

8. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I owe ya Sam.

;)

9. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    Have you been studying with Linda McKnight at Manhattan? She's currently my teacher.