Octave Multiplexer, OC3, Peael OC 07??????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jar20, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Jar20

Jar20

Aug 30, 2018
    Hello, I’m thinking in get one of this pedals, the only problem is that I don’t know which one, I’ve heard that the OM is great because of the sound and the OC3 has my attention because of the Poly,Oc2 and Drive mode and finally the Pearl I can get it and I know that is classic but what do you think? And another thing that is worrying me is that I know that some of this pedals sound bad in active basses and I have a Sterling USA

2. I use my Multiplexer with my USA G&L L-2500, both in passive and active modes, series or parallel, without any issues at all!

I love that pedal.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  3. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Check out the Eleca Black Hurricane, it's a 30$ clone of the Multiplexer. Have had mine for awhile now and love it, haven't had any issues. The original EHX ones show up fairly cheap used sometimes but the Eleca is great for trying it out cheap. Also EHX makes deluxe multiplexers but they are old and expensive, but seem really really cool. Hopefully someone clones them too one day or EHX releases a new deluxe multiplexer... The simpler version is still great though.

If the OC-3 is polyphonic I'd assume it is digital, nothing wrong with that but there are a lot of other great newer digital octavers with more controls for the price. I hear good things about the OC-2 and the signal controls seem great, but I really love the dual filter and simplicity of the multiplexer. The blend is really all you need and then you can fine tune the octave over a wide range from thick/deep to more raspy/bright especially with the low filter switched off.

The dry output also seems pretty useful for recording, on guitar you could split your signal with the octave into a bass amp and the dry into a guitar amp. And with bass or synth you could send the octave/dry through different effects/processing. Been meaning to try using it into a mixer with the dry/wet in different channels for individual EQ's, seems great for experimenting. Have it early on in my chain right now though so the dry out hasn't gotten any use.

I mainly use the multiplexer on guitar and am impressed how bass like it can sound when dialed in right, I'd bet people listening to recordings or in an audience couldn't even tell it is actually from guitar. But it is also great for synthy stuff, and on bass can be thunderously deep. Also can be fun on synth/keys too and would be perfect for mono bass synths.

gregmon79 likes this.
  4. Jar20

Jar20

Aug 30, 2018
    Thanks I find de OM in 50usd and the OC3 in 75 but You convince me to go to the OM, the Deluxe sound so good but I think that no one would build me one, anyway the normal it’s good

5. Karlo.kc

Karlo.kc

Dec 16, 2008
    Croatia
    Well, you should know that OC-3 is digital and the other two are analog pedals, so the OC-3 will track the best.

That being said, I think that Pearl OC-7 is your best choice (I prefer analog over digital).
    It has 2 octaves down and 1 octave up - also, John Davis (Nerve) use OC-7 nowadays (he used to have Boss OC-2 for years).

I had Multiplexer and I didn't really like it because of the volume drop, although it had really nice organic tone.

I didn't try OC-3, but I had OC-2 for a while. It prefer it over Multiplexer. It's a classic pedal.

Also, check out DOD FX35 Octoplus. I have it right now and it's great for the price!
    It has tone control for the octave down, which is really neat.

Blu bro likes this.
  6. I have the OC 3 and really like it and I think it's underrated. It doesn't get a lot of love which is a shame because it tracks really well.

Iristone and digbass like this.
  7. Jar20

Jar20

Aug 30, 2018
    Well I’ve heard bout the volumen drop of the OM but the tone I think that it’s great, also I read that the Pearl it’s great although I can’t find a well bass review but the one that I can buy it’s clone and i think it’s great because of the true by pass, so you recomend me the Pearl over the OM just for the volumen? And what more you can say bout the Pearl ?

8. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Southern California
    Just ordered a Multiplexer over any of the Boss offerings. You can find them used for about $50.

9. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Bremen
    I bought a multiplexer out of curiosity and to compare it to my OC-2. Absolutely hated it. Bad tracking, big volume drop and the sound was either too boomy or too farty. Sold it the day I got it.

10. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    You have to try the Valeton OC-10.
    Great little pedal, great sound and quite affordable.

11. Karlo.kc

Karlo.kc

Dec 16, 2008
    Croatia
    I didn't try Pearl OC-7, but I think you can get many different tones because it has controls for dry volume, -2, -1 and +1 octaves. It will definitely sound synthy. Also, I didn't read anywhere that it has volume drop. Search Talkbass for more info.

Multiplexer volume drop really bothered me (I used mine in boosted loop with Boss LS-2), it's the reason why I ultimately sold it.

You should try all three if you have a chance... Opinions about pedals are really subjective, as you can see :)

12. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    For people complaining about the multiplexer volume drop there is a mod to add a boost/output volume control. Personally I find it cuts or boosts volume depending on the settings/rig so it hasn't been a problem IMO.

13. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    I've owned a bunch of octave pedals over the years, and the best one for me was the OC-3. The Drive and Poly modes suck, but the OC-2 is great. I own a Boss MS-3 and it essentially has the same OC-2 setting that the OC-3 uses, and I've dumped all of my octave pedals in favor of the MS-3. Every analog octave pedal I've used has dead notes that simply won't track with any instrument, but the OC-3's tracking was as perfect as an octave pedal can get.

14. gepettus

gepettus

Sep 17, 2011
    Argentina
    I recommend you two pedals based in my experience:

Boss oc2 (classic, efective)
    Mxr bass octave deluxe (versatility)

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021