1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

odd intonation E string fender jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by matito, Dec 29, 2006.

1. bass: 1983 fender jazz 62RI
    tuner: peterson strobostomp

problem: all strings tuned and G, D, A strings seem to be all pretty much in correct intonation while the E string, frets F to D# fret all slightly sharp with the A note being the most sharp and getting least sharp to to either side to the F and D#

while 0 fret and 12th fret show a perfect E note

i hope this makes sense and someone can help :) thanks

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It maybe that you have a bad E string. Have you tried replacing it?

Also, make sure there is a good break of the string over the bridge and the nut. Press down hard on the E string close to the bridge so that the string forms a nice clean angle over the saddle. Do the same at the nut. Retune, re-intonate, then check if the problem still occurs. I have seen many problems caused by a string arching over the nut and/or bridge rather than angling cleanly. The consequence in these cases was a problem intonating properly. After creating a clean break-angle the problems were often cured.

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'd try what turnaround suggested. If that doesn't work, then you may need to file down the groove on the E string at the nut. I've had that same problem, and it's usually been because the string was too high at the nut.