Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Official Cigar Box Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mc900ftj, Jan 24, 2014.

1. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    Haven't seen a "club" for us owners of cigar box basses...so here goes!

Post a photo of yours and I'll register you!

Here's mine....

[​IMG]

-------------------
    #1 - mc900ftj

2. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    If you plug your electric instruments directly into a 110 volt outlet, you're doing it wrong.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    Depends on the effect you're going for. ;)

5. zackthompson

zackthompson Endorsing Artist: MJC Ironworks Strings Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Here's mine. Paid for the whole thing with pocket change. Built with Chinese wholesale hardware and P pup. Frets are made out of nail gun nails glued in the (somewhat) correct fret spots. It's more of a conversation piece then anything. I have played it live though.

[​IMG]

6. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What are those strings?

7. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    see Burn Notice
  8. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    Members:

#2 - zackthompson
    #1 - mc900ftj

9. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    Various guages of weed trimmer line. The weed trimmer line, piezo pickups and fretless-ness give it a thumpy, upright bass sound.

10. EoganDubh

EoganDubh

Apr 3, 2014
    Harrisburg PA

Attached Files:

11. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    Members:

#3 - EoganDubh
    #2 - zackthompson
    #1 - mc900ftj

12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I've been wanting to make one for quite a while. In my junk parts I have an old DIY bass kit neck, tuners, cheap P-bass pickups, bridges, pots, etc. I mocked one up the other day and the scale isn't 34'' without having an extension. I would like to have the bridge positioned at the edge of the box rather than hanging out in space. Should I just not worry about scale lenght and rock it?

Also, even though I could make a (3) P bass pickup bass if I wanted I am considering using a piezo (s) without any controls. Would the piezo setup have any low end to it?

13. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    You'll most likely need a buffer/preamp for the piezo, and I'm pretty sure the ones made for basses are designed for the different frequency spread of a bass as opposed to guitar. There are some DIY buffer/preamps mentioned in other threads, and used Fishman controls can be found sometimes.

This thread has me looking at a couple of large cigar boxes I have, and all the parts I need to do something constructive with...

14. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Since I have the electronics I'll just stick a P pickup in it. I haven't had time to try it, but I am going to try using the bridge (with saddles and screws removed) as a tail piece mounted on the end of the cigar box (the short side) with a wooden bridge.

15. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    A couple of mock ups. I'm still leaning toward a simple one peice wooden bridge. Also, I may wire the pickup straight to the jack.

Attached Files: